TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,059 Posts
Yeah, its worth it to take this in steps. See how it does with this repair. See what difference you see. Then decide on the purge valve or not.

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Yeas, it's just a cannister full of activated charcoal. You might want to blow thru the ports to figure out what's what. The function is to let the fuel vapors adsorb on th charcoal, so engine vacuum can burn them later, when the purge valve opens.

Reactions: supergordo

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Would a regular rubber cap hold up? Everything used on the EVAP should be fuel rated hose.

Maybe that's why the EVAP hoses always break down after a number of years. It's basically just vacuum hose. Ford didn't expect us to still be driving these cars after 25 years, lol! The hose probably lasts for a typical lifespan, 10-15 years.

Al

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I understand the basic operation of the EVAP system, as Grog explained above. With that hole in the canister and the charcoal, etc being exposed to the elements, is it possible/ probable that the charcoal has deteriorated?

BTW: the CEL went off today, I did fill up with gas yesterday.

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
I understand the basic operation of the EVAP system, as Grog explained above. With that hole in the canister and the charcoal, etc being exposed to the elements, is it possible/ probable that the charcoal has deteriorated?

BTW: the CEL went off today, I did fill up with gas yesterday.
The charcoal can get contaminated over time. I know some people clean them out with mass amounts of wd40. But I've never tried it. Also being open to the air can bring in dirt that will help the purge valve fail.

Reactions: Kidd-7

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
They should be ok; iirc, the pores are too small for water, so they shouldn't get saturated with humidity. You have to mix it with a liquid, and it's not easy, lol.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Oh, T6: you want edpm or silicone, not rubber. Viton type stuff, not buna.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I used "fuel" hose from the local store.

Al

Reactions: supergordo

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Replaced the charcoal canister, purge valve and sensor. Cleared the CEL and it did not return on the test drive.
FWIW, The new canister was significantly lighter than the old one.
However the fuel trims are still hovering around -10%.

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Replaced the charcoal canister, purge valve and sensor. Cleared the CEL and it did not return on the test drive.
FWIW, The new canister was significantly lighter than the old one.
However the fuel trims are still hovering around -10%.
-10 is still a pretty good improvement over the -20s I saw on your charts. Besides, if you aren't getting codes for being lean. You really don't have to worry about it too much. Unless you are of course trying to make the engine air tight. Maybe because you want to build some kind of 007 submarine MN12. In which case I say, carry on.

• Haha

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No 007 submarine going on over here. :p Wasn't sure if the low fuel trims were a sign of something, I will continue to monitor, provided things stay copacetic I will continue to drive the piss out of her.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
These run relatively lean stock; my plugs have always looked borderline lean, when I changed them out.
Of course, they're a lot dirtier now than when I started. :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts