TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked around and just want to know EXACTLY what parts I need to buy. The idle is low (as in it sometimes stalls) when I start the car on cold days. As the car warms up, the idle gets to where it should be. It's like a choke problem or fast idle cam problem, only our cars don't have those parts. So when I go down to the local parts stores....what am I looking for?

Thanks.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Our 4.6L engines have an idle air control valve. On this engine, the idle air control valve is mounted on the intake manifold. Removing and installing is a somewhat delicate procedure - be careful not to drop the retaining screws!

Click here for a photo of what to look for. You'll see it at the rear of the engine, on the driver's side of the engine.

From the 1994 Service Manual:

Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve

Removal

Disconnect battery ground cable (14301) .
Disconnect the engine control sensor wiring (12A581) from the idle air control valve (IAC valve) (9F715) .
Remove the two idle air control valve retaining screws.
Remove the idle air control valve and idle air control valve gasket.

Installation

NOTE: If scraping is necessary, be careful not to damage idle air control valve or idle air control valve gasket surfaces, or drop material into throttle body (9E926) or intake manifold (9424) (depending upon application).

Clean idle air control valve gasket mating surfaces.
To install idle air control valve, reverse Removal procedure.
Tighten retaining screws to 9.5 Nm (7 lb-ft).
Connect battery ground cable .

·
Registered
66 Posts
IAC is one thing to check but the idle is also directly related to coolant temp. Could be the coolant temprature sensor. Not to be confused with the sender for the gauge on the intrument cluster.

My two cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts