·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Most kids would probably think its just "some old car..."

Idiots.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
More than likely it will be wrecked within the year.

Depends on who paid for the car. If the kid worked and saved his money for years, they will take care of it.

If the parents or grandparents paid for it - what I said first.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts

Depends on who paid for the car. If the kid worked and saved his money for years, they will take care of it.

yup most likely...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

yup most likely...
Well I crashed my Thunderbird shortly after I got it, but I payed the money and rebuilt it myself which taught me valuable lessons in hard work, the value of ones tools and possessions, and the fragility of automotive transportation. I now treat my vehicles with so much more respect because I know there isnt much holding them together, and so much that can go wrong. Wrecking it prompted me to rebuild the entire suspension with new bushings and upgrade my springs and shocks to Eibachs and Tokicos. It taught me that owning up to one's mistakes with hard work and dedication can often undo the damage that was done and end up with desirable results, in my case a car that drive and handles better than most vehicles on the road.

Now unfortunately most people are smarter than I am and would refrain from spending $2000 to fix a car that cost them $700 in the first place. I dont think the kid with that clean Fox Bird would put $2000 in to fix a $5000 wrecked car, his daddy would just buy him another (probably more expensive) car. The kid doesnt learn any of the lessons I did, and society is robbed of a clean '87 Thunderbird.... pretty sad.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts

Agreed. If the kid paid for the car he really wanted with his savings or at least most of it he could end up being careful with it and baby it, that was the case with me anyway. I emptied my savings account when I found my car at 17 and was scared to death of anything happening to it, still am actually lol

If It was bought for outright for him, well... I hope he really learns to appreciate it, otherwise We'll be seeing 20k mile Fox Tbird parts showing up on car-part.com soon enough:tongue:

I think a real car enthusiast, as in NOT someone who gets into cars because they got their license and wants to go fast or look cool like most do, but actually has loved them since childhood, can treat a car properly right out of drivers-ed.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think a real car enthusiast, as in NOT someone who gets into cars because they got their license and wants to go fast or look cool like most do, but actually has loved them since childhood, can treat a car properly right out of drivers-ed.
Thats how I was, but I just thought I had more driving ability than I did... :tongue:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I am sure its nice, but that vintage fuel injection was problematic and nasty!

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I am sure its nice, but that vintage fuel injection was problematic and nasty!
You might be thinking of the CFI fuel injection. The '87 had the SEFI injection, not too far removed from what we have with our MN12 vehicles. Similar rail, FPR, injectors, even the Schrader valve is there. I had the SEFI 5.0 in my '88 XR7 and it was like a Swiss watch. No problems.

Now, if you're thinking of CFI ('85 and eariler), then yes, it could cause some problems. My '86 had the CFI setup, which essentially looked like a carburetor with two primitive fuel injectors placed at the top. I had some issues with it.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I must be thinking of CFI.. My buddy had a 1983 Crown Vic and a 1988 GM that had some problems with the fuel injection. He put a carb on the 1983, the GM was a little better but not much.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
CFI on my 84 Crown Vic sucked, but we still dogged it anyway :) It did its job for the 4 years or so that I had it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts