TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Ford Thunderbird SC 5sp

I want that car so badly. Seriously considering selling my 2004 Mustang GT and buying it. Thoughts? The Mustang currently has 66700 miles on it, its a 40th anniversary edition with the FX paint code, its one of 144 fully loaded cars. I know the Mustang is newer and probably more reliable but it has more miles and an oxcart suspension. I'm not sure what I would do with my current Thunderbird, but its developed so many small issues and I've already poured a crapton of money into it. I'd pull the new exhaust system off of it and put it on the SC along with most of the new suspension parts and my lowering springs.

Am I crazy?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I would dump the v6 bird and keep the stang,and pass on the SC, but that's me now...if I where 18 living in chico I would sell the stang and sell the v6 bird and be the only person in bidwell with a sweet super coupe...btw since you're nearby, go slap somebody in oroville...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would dump the v6 bird and keep the stang,and pass on the SC, but that's me now...if I where 18 living in chico I would sell the stang and sell the v6 bird and be the only person in bidwell with a sweet super coupe...btw since you're nearby, go slap somebody in oroville...
I can definitely see where you are coming from. If it was upto me I'd have the Mustang and a nice SC, that way I still have a reliable driver for when the head gaskets blow. :tongue:

Thunderbirds are pretty rare around here, I've only seen one SC and it was a ratty 35th missing its clearcoat. I don't have anything going right now, who in Oroville should I go slap? :D

What I should do is buy the SC and keep the Mustang. Put all the good parts from the v6 bird onto the SC, fix up the v6 bird on the cheap and then sell it. That way I get all my modification money out of it and I am rid of its curse.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
IMO thats too nice of a sc to let go. i would sell the stang and the other bird, get the sc, and a little gas sipping 4 banger car for the daily driver, and still have some money left over... thats what i would do.lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO thats too nice of a sc to let go. i would sell the stang and the other bird, get the sc, and a little gas sipping 4 banger car for the daily driver, and still have some money left over... thats what i would do.lol
Thats really what I should do. Hmph.

And by gas sipping 4 banger you mean a Turbo Coupe right? :tongue: ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Keep the mustang, buy an SC and swap the parts over from your n/a bird. Its really hard to DD these cars without having to work on them all the time. Im looking for a DD right now and retiring the bird, but no way will it be a 4 banger.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I use my bird as a DD...it has served me well for that....but yes, they are old and there's always something wrong with them, especially if they are your only vehicle, can't park it in a garage, and use it every day...that's not saying anything negative, these are great cars, reliable, etc. With that said, your Mustang GT is just as good as the bird if not better, simply for the fact that it is much newer. Insurance must be insane on the mustang alone, not to mention a bird as well and a potential SC, so that's another consideration...if whatever it is that makes the insurance affordable for you changes, three cars (or even two) might become problematic, been there, done that. I am assuming you are going to college at chico state or butte college at the moment? BTW go slap somebody in colusa....it can be anybody, really.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
What parts could you possibly swap over ? With that low of mileage on the SC, you shouldnt touch anything. Are you Crazy ? Do you really need us to answer that question ..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use my bird as a DD...it has served me well for that....but yes, they are old and there's always something wrong with them, especially if they are your only vehicle, can't park it in a garage, and use it every day...that's not saying anything negative, these are great cars, reliable, etc. With that said, your Mustang GT is just as good as the bird if not better, simply for the fact that it is much newer. Insurance must be insane on the mustang alone, not to mention a bird as well and a potential SC, so that's another consideration...if whatever it is that makes the insurance affordable for you changes, three cars (or even two) might become problematic, been there, done that. I am assuming you are going to college at chico state or butte college at the moment? BTW go slap somebody in colusa....it can be anybody, really.
Yeah ideally that's what I would do. I think you are right about keeping the Mustang just for the fact that its so simple and reliable, that way I can still get to work. I need to just fix my Thunderbird and make it drivable and half decent looking. Then I can find an SC, swap my parts over, and sell the v6 bird to make up most of the cost of the SC. The transmission is starting to slip on the '89 and I'm at the point where I was going to do the 5MT swap, but is there any way that I could save the money and make the transmission stop slipping and run for a while longer so I could sell it?

I'm a second semester sophomore at Chico State. Did you used to live up here? Chico is a pretty cool place.

I probably should go slap somebody in Oroville and Colusa, they both deserve it. I'd go slap someone in Orland but then I'd have 15 people beating me up. :tongue:

What parts could you possibly swap over ? With that low of mileage on the SC, you shouldnt touch anything. Are you Crazy ? Do you really need us to answer that question ..
Id swap over my brand new custom exhaust with brand new catalytic converters, my Eibach Prokit springs, new sway bar end links and tierod ends.

As far as being crazy, the sad part is if I have to ask I probably already know the answer... :tongue:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Id swap over my brand new custom exhaust with brand new catalytic converters, my Eibach Prokit springs, new sway bar end links and tierod ends.
Do you REALLY need to swap those parts over ?? I mean, you couldnt just leave a perfectly good completely stock, low mileage car alone ??

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you REALLY need to swap those parts over ?? I mean, you couldnt just leave a perfectly good completely stock, low mileage car alone ??
Yes, I do. The exhaust system is not loud or anything, it just sounds great, and it flows way better than stock. The Eibach lowering springs improve the looks and handling tremendously.

I'd be perfectly happy driving the SC stock, however the reason I would get an SC (over a V8 car) is so I can take most of the money I put into my 89 back out before I sell it. I'd put the stock SC exhaust on the 89 NA when I sell it instead of leaving on my brand new $700 exhaust system. I would get more out of those parts putting them on the SC than I would selling them on my 89 NA. I'd get the same for my 89NA whether it was lowered or sounded good or not.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
For and 18y/o without a good bit of money and experience or time to learn I wouldn't suggest a SC. You're looking a the ABS system going, overheating issues, ignition problems... not the thing your average 18y/o has the resources to deal with. If you think MN-12 parts are hard to come by just wait till your ordering SC parts.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
If you can even find parts...the majority of parts for these cars are getting harder to find
Thats why Ive never bought an 89-93 SC .. too many issues with ABS, seat belts, etc .. I prefer the 94/95 SC since they have more parts interchangeable with LX Tbirds, upgraded parts, no problems with ABS or anything like that. Or people with the early model want to upgrade to late model parts like Supercharger are more expensive to find but you can still get them used when they come up every so often. Most general maintenance/sensors/failure parts are still readily available.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
For and 18y/o without a good bit of money and experience or time to learn I wouldn't suggest a SC. You're looking a the ABS system going, overheating issues, ignition problems... not the thing your average 18y/o has the resources to deal with. If you think MN-12 parts are hard to come by just wait till your ordering SC parts.
I have the latter, I just lack the former. I'm good at working on cars and fixing stuff, I've been there done that with most of that on my '89 already.

Rip the abs out - its not worth f'ing with it. Go conventional!
Yep, if it gave me issues out it goes. Would it interfere with the autoride?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have the former, I just lack the latter. I'm good at working on cars and fixing stuff, I've been there done that with most of that on my '89 already.

Yep, if it gave me issues out it goes. Would it interfere with the autoride?
You dont have any idea until you get into the SC engine bay. Its a lot more crowded in there and they can be very tempermental. Changing spark plugs, same difference, more work. Need to take out your alternator ? IC tube comes off .. once you learn the tricks its easy but the first time you get in there like, How does this thing come off ??? Replacing Upper control arms .. good luck.

ABS has nothing to do with the Automatic ride control shocks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You dont have any idea until you get into the SC engine bay. Its a lot more crowded in there and they can be very tempermental. Changing spark plugs, same difference, more work. Need to take out your alternator ? IC tube comes off .. once you learn the tricks its easy but the first time you get in there like, How does this thing come off ??? Replacing Upper control arms .. good luck.

ABS has nothing to do with the Automatic ride control shocks.
I thought ABS kicking in was one of the things it detects when it tells the shocks what mode to be in?

I've gotten pretty used to the crowded engine bay and taking things apart, removing a few more things doesnt really bother me. I enjoy working on something difficult. I know how big of a pain in the ass the UCAs are even on my car, ratcheting wrenches are super helpful. If I have to remove stuff to get to the bolts, so be it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts