TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think the low speed circuit for the radiator fan is working on my car.

It gets hot enough to turn on the check gauges light (Around the M on the "norm" level of the temp gauge) At that point the fan kicks on, and within a few min the temp gauge drops back down straight up and the fan shuts off.

I've read countless overheating and rad fan posts, but couldn't find what I was looking for. On the fan connector what two wires turn on the low speed circuit and what should the voltage be? Same question for the high speed?

And With the AC is the fan on high or low? BTW With the AC on the fan comes on and the temp stays right where it should be. If memory serves the AC turns on the high speed circuit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My searching lead me to my own post:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=112720

I have more info. At the fan connector I have 8V on the blue wire and nothing on the orange wire with the ac off. Engine temp well below the norm on the gauge and the fan is not on.

With the AC I still have 8v at on the blue wire and and now have 14 v on the orange wire. and the fan is on.

This leads me to believe that the info on the post listed was incorrect and the AC does run the fan on high? And I need a new fan motor again?

Anyone have a recommendation? The factory fan lasted about 12 years, the Oreilly replacement fan didn't make two years. For $100 I'd expect a little more...

Did I get this right? I need a new fan motor?

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
8V seems low; is that with the wire on the terminal? clip leads come in handy there...

The relay that drives it may be toast; on my 96, I'm pretty sure it runs from the eec.

EDIT: No, not from EEC; see Master486's post below...

I believe the 95 runs from a relay/control box.

The terminals are known to heat up and melt off; a bad connection at the fan causes that. I suggest soldering the wire to the terminals, and adding a higher current disconnect somewhere in line.

If it's only supplying 8V on that wire, check the wire at the source and control box; you may have a bad wire.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should both wires read 14V if the fan were supposed to be on high? IE: Could I run jumper the blue wire from the fan to the battery to test it?

I've already replaced the relay module. I don't recall it'$ name, but it runs the fan circuits, fuel pump and a couple of other things. Either way, there was no change with a brand new module from the dealer.

·
5,650 Posts
Both wires should have 14V or whatever the system is charging at when they are commanded on. Either one or the other will have power, never both at the same time. No fan is driven directly from the PCM. All of them are powered through the CCRM and commanded to come on by the PCM. I would trace back the wiring and see if there is an issue. You might also have a ground issue somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
So Is only having 8v on the low speed side my problem?
Is that with the fan connected or not?

If that is without the fan, the wire or the control module is bad somewhere.

Jumping the wire to the batt should run it, but be careful; it will spark like crazy. If you have a fuel leak, it could be bad...

The CC part of CCRM is a current source that keeps from burning relays up. (transistors, not just relays.)

These motors are power hogs; a pcm fan controller is the way to go if the ccrm is bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts