TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my car this morning and saw the strangest thing, in fact I didn't initially realize there was anything going on.

anyway it was about -23*C this morning and when I started my car my low washer and low coolant lights were flashing. They flashed for about 20secs. then stopped, then a few seconds later flashed once.
The washer tank is full, and my coolant is right where it should be.

I thought it was just flashing then thought it might be a code, it hasn't done it since.

anyone experience this before?

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
I remember this came up years ago. It seems everyone in the colder climates had some issue with it happening, I know I did. Nothing you have to worry about Chris! :D

Joe

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was weird, and I still don't know if they were simply flashing or if it was throwing a code.

I also don't know exactly what made it stop. I would think if its throwing a code then it would just keep cycling, not do it once then stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TSB BC3285970206 mentions this. I haven't been able to get the actual course of action to fix it though. It bugs the crap out of me. Anyone have access to the full TSB?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
anyway it was about -23*C this morning and when I started my car my low washer and low coolant lights were flashing.... anyone experience this before? ?
Hell no we haven't experienced -23C - WTF you think we are Eskimos or something?? - & Be damn glad the thing started by the grace of all the Ford gods in Heaven~!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 97 thunderbird 4.6 I live in NC and it gets to like 45 and its kind of cold especially at night. But as of late I experienced the same thing once my low coolant light when on flashing and I checked and it was ok. To add as of late when my car idles for awhile it starts to shake a little my check engine light went on and I went to autozone and it read that its running lean. so today I started looking for anything loose or leaking and I noticed at one of the fuel injectors a little anti coolant settled. checked hoses, no leaks but I think it could be the manifold. I know they sell the aftermarket ones make out of aluminum which it alot better than the stock ones which I hear are known to crack. If any one can help with my diagnosis it would help alot.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 97 should already have the updated manifold with the aluminum crossover.

I've never heard of the low washer light flashing....this is strange.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well here we are almost a year from the original post and I had this happen again today.

Again it was stupidly cold, -31*C with windchill, -20*C otherwise.

I get into my car and start it up, and it turned over a little slower than normal, but this light combination flashing kept going on for a good 4 or 5 minutes until the car warmed a bit.

About a month ago on another really cold day I had this happen, but it only flashed 5 or 6 times again.

I have no idea what this is, but this time it seemed to be more or less blinking "off" rather than "on", meaning the lights would stay lit up longer than they would blink off.

Does ANYONE know what this means?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
well here we are almost a year from the original post and I had this happen again today.

Again it was stupidly cold, -31*C with windchill, -20*C otherwise.

I get into my car and start it up, and it turned over a little slower than normal, but this light combination flashing kept going on for a good 4 or 5 minutes until the car warmed a bit.

About a month ago on another really cold day I had this happen, but it only flashed 5 or 6 times again.

I have no idea what this is, but this time it seemed to be more or less blinking "off" rather than "on", meaning the lights would stay lit up longer than they would blink off.

Does ANYONE know what this means?

Just a shot in the dark,but the wiper fluid will freeze up,had it happen before..That's one possibility on your flashing wiper fluid light..

As far as the flashing coolant light..Well I hope you have enough antifreeze in your cooling system..Otherwise a freeze up in your cooling system is really bad in the winter..and may cause a flashing coolant light..Good luck!

Rayo...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I haven't read the TSB, but it seems to be a pretty common occurrence to us in the frozen north. My 97 Thunderbird with the 4.6 will also flash the low coolant and low washer lights when it is very cold, below -10F for me. I was curious about it, looked it up here, didn't get a definitive answer, but got enough to know it only happens when it's bitterly cold and stops once the engine has warmed up enough.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the sensors are throwing out a signal when they are too cold. Since they're both immersed in fluid that is also at least -10F, they both freak out till they warm up enough to function properly.

Nothing to worry about, just means it's way too darn cold outside.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
TSB BC3285970206 mentions this. I haven't been able to get the actual course of action to fix it though. It bugs the crap out of me. Anyone have access to the full TSB?
I haven't read the TSB, but it seems to be a pretty common occurrence to us in the frozen north. My 97 Thunderbird with the 4.6 will also flash the low coolant and low washer lights when it is very cold, below -10F for me. I was curious about it, looked it up here, didn't get a definitive answer, but got enough to know it only happens when it's bitterly cold and stops once the engine has warmed up enough.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the sensors are throwing out a signal when they are too cold. Since they're both immersed in fluid that is also at least -10F, they both freak out till they warm up enough to function properly.

Nothing to worry about, just means it's way too darn cold outside.
I have every TSB for these cars on my other laptop. I'll be back home later today and I will try to find it for y'all. That TSB mentioned above is a weird number, but I'll see what I can dig up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts