TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,........just wondering if the lower balljoint could be lubricated or if you have to replace it when it's dry.........for some reason i'm gettting a clunking noise in my front suspension that's random and i just changed the front ball joint not too long ago on that side (drivers side).......thought that maybe something else needed lubrication.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm no supension expert... but I had to have something called the "sway bar end links" replaced not too long ago. Sounds something like what you describe. I first noticed a knocking on the cobblestones on a trip to New Orleans and it got steadily worse as time went on.

And watch out for the Ford dealer.. they wanted $1100 to fix this - another shop (that I trust and has a better rep) charged me $250 to do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The only way to grease them is to buy joints with a zerk fitting (the little thing you squirt grease into). The ones from Autozone have them, but make sure they are the 90 degree type or else it is a pain to get to them.

·
8,239 Posts
Damn dude. I just did all four sway bar endlinks in my driveway with handtools. They are like 40 bucks a piece at autozone. I can't beleive ford's price was such a rip. But, I would never take my car to the dealer, unless for warantee/recall work.

JH

doodaa said:
I'm no supension expert... but I had to have something called the "sway bar end links" replaced not too long ago. Sounds something like what you describe. I first noticed a knocking on the cobblestones on a trip to New Orleans and it got steadily worse as time went on.

And watch out for the Ford dealer.. they wanted $1100 to fix this - another shop (that I trust and has a better rep) charged me $250 to do.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Upgrade said:
The only way to grease them is to buy joints with a zerk fitting (the little thing you squirt grease into). The ones from Autozone have them, but make sure they are the 90 degree type or else it is a pain to get to them.
Do you know if autozone has them for all cars or just some like most of there stupid parts? I have had bad experiences with autozone. All they sell is rice stuff. They now have NOS floor mats. Maybe I can pick some of those up to while im there. :D :D

Oh yea how much did those ball joint cost from autozone?

·
Registered
299 Posts
They were 25 bucks plus tax and they are made by McQuay-Norris. The part number at Autozone is FA1635. I actually have an extra one kicking around if anyone wants it. It is new in the box with the nut and boot.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
JustinH said:
Damn dude. I just did all four sway bar endlinks in my driveway with handtools. They are like 40 bucks a piece at autozone. I can't beleive ford's price was such a rip. But, I would never take my car to the dealer, unless for warantee/recall work.

JH

My driveway has been at or over 90 degrees every day since March and I'm an old guy - these days it's worth $100 in labor cost for me to not have to do it in the driveway. ;-) Got to have some reason to go to work on Monday mornings, like paying the credit card bill.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well I just checked Autozone online and the part number is the same. Im pretty sure this one fits 89-97 Birds and Cougars. So if you or anyone else wants it, I'll take offers. Perhaps I'll take this to the "for sale" forum before we get scolded.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Balljoints

If you replace your balljoints......don't go to Autozone. Try and find someone who carries MOOG suspension parts. They are lifetime guaranteed.....as long as you have the reciept that is......as for the factory balljoints, you cannot grease them. They are sealed. Be sure to pick up a few 90 degree zerks with the new balljoints, cause most balljoints do not come with them, though they have the threaded hole for the zerk.

To address the random clunking noise, it may just be your lower control arm bushings causing this. Most MN12's are notorious for this, and Ford even carries a redesigned bushing because of this problem. If you replace your lower balljoints, you might as weel do this at the same time since it is in the same vicinity.

·
Registered
117 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
my end links were $25 each from a Ford dealer. Are the whole lower arms a dealer only item? My bushings at the crossmember have been shot for years.
i opted for dealer part , i figure its easier to mess with that bushing that way,
but mn12performance's front end kit comes with a poly bushing for it, but its easier to change the arm when its worn but they are saying they got arms at autozone too
with grease fittings, i just want the sealed joints

·
Registered
195 Posts
Roger that, all carquest suspension is made by moog (AKA TRW AKA OEM Ford part if not better) Most of the moog stuff is a greasable version like lower balls, ssway bar links, so they last longer. Plus they have a lifetime warranty with receipt.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The new stuff is only greasable until the boot tears then it's GAME OVER.

FYI, the reason the upper ball joint fails is due to the boot tearing and water and dirt getting in the joint. Happened on both of my cars. The lowers you usually get a noise while turning, which happend on my SC. SO you usually get a warning.

Greasable or ungreasable you can get 80-100K

I wouldn't buy anything from Autozone unless it is TRW or MOOG. Usually they have crapola parts and you take a chance. I had to replace my rack and pinion I purchased from Advance due to it leaking <1500 miles. I bought my replacement from my Ford dealer for what it cost me the first time. Lesson learned is this, don't expect alot whan they have a lifetime replacement warranty cause that leaves alot of shoddy workmanship out there. And changing a rack is a pain, except I got it down to 2.5 hours now...

The replacement rack from Ford looked brand new and my car never steered this well before. All I can say is buyer beware.

Jim Long

1 - 15 of 15 Posts