TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my pass. side lower control arm and i cant seem to get the ball joint nut tight, it just spins with the ball joint. Ive tried putting a jack under the ball joing and putting the tire on the car and putting on the ground.

any tricks to tightening the nut ???

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you're saying the last few threads, stack washers, bigger nut etc on it and torque near spec. Take nut back off and remove spacers, and retorque.
If you cant get nut down enough to show threads on top.. try to find a non-interference nut to fit. If you can get threads on top, use vice grips. When the nut's taken off it'll fix the threads

·
Registered
208 Posts
The more easy way for me was using a impact gun

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Impact gun is the proper way then u can torque

·
Registered
613 Posts
That's what I use, too. But I never assume guy has more than small tool box. And impact doesnt ALWAYS get around the pesky spin problem.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Impact always works for me

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Using a control arm with a castellated nut would have been easiest however since more likely your using a replacement with a nylon lock nut I would impact it down, or remove it and spray both the threads and the nut with kroil and try again, still an impact makes light work of the nylon replacement nut issue.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I will jack the joint up into the knuckle as much as I can. If that doesnt work, I get someone to run it down with an impact while I squeeze the arm and knuckle together with giant channel locks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts