TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a suspension rebuild on the daily driver (97 Thunderbird). I cant for the life of me get that lower ball joint to drop out of the spindle. Im replacing the whole arm with a brand new lower control arm from MOOG. New bushing all around.

Do I need a press to get that pOS out?

Im using a tuning fork and a big hammer. That doesnt seem to be doing the trick.

Before I pull another muscle anyone have a tip for removal?

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
what about beating the spindle with a sledge hammer near the balljoint hole? Leave the nut on loose so what it pops it doesn't fall apart

i would think a pickle fork would get it, especially if you aren't worried about saving the balljoint

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

I am pretty sure I used the same tool for the LBJ to spindle, tie rod end to spindle, end links. I had zero luck with a pickle fork, only succeeded is destroying the boots. I also didn't have much luck with loosening the nut 3 or 4 turns and beating on it with a hammer, but I didn't try real hard because it was pretty much 2 seconds with the tie rod end tool.

4 or 5 bucks at harbor freight, used on three complete mn12 front end swaps/replacements, and still could be used again (but the pointed end is getting deformed).

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK got it.

Now....how about those control arm bushings up front. How do those come out? THe doughnut looking ones.

****and in case this is ever searched. I used leverage. Jacked the car up a little higher, slipped a bar over the fork, hammered it in as best I could and jumped on it. Worked great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts