TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,
On the lower intake, are the intake bolts that on either side of the cooling flow holes supposed to be sealed with silicon?

I could not find anything about it, but I notice the bolts are pretty rusted on the upper part of the bolt, between the threads and the bolt head.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read through my service manual and my service CD and neither mention a sealant for the upper intake bolts so I just cleaned them up and bolted them in.

Thanks though, I appreciate the research.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I was referring to the lower intake bolts coming with a sealer on them when you buy them *new* from Ford..

and you're welcome :)

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was referring to the lower intake bolts coming with a sealer on them when you buy them *new* from Ford..

and you're welcome :)

Rayo..
Oh, I understood that. Besides, the only part that seems to have water damage is the upper "non-threaded" part of the bolt. My best guess is the lower intake got loose enough to allow water to flow into the hole of the intake the bolt goes through. They were like this from the factory when I first took the engine apart. I figured it was normal for this bolt.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And another question

I found out I have one bolt wrong on the lower intake. Can I pull that one bolt out and replace it? Do I jeopardize effecting the pressure of the seal to the block by removing one bolt?

The bolt is the 2nd to the right rear bolt. It is supposed to be a stud to mount the water pipe line from the front of the water pump back to the heater lines.

Suggestions? Comments?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I found out I have one bolt wrong on the lower intake. Can I pull that one bolt out and replace it? Do I jeopardize effecting the pressure of the seal to the block by removing one bolt?

The bolt is the 2nd to the right rear bolt. It is supposed to be a stud to mount the water pipe line from the front of the water pump back to the heater lines.

Suggestions? Comments?
If you used RTV somewhere on the lower intake, and you're afraid if you remove a bolt you could effect the integrity of the seal..

Then just give it 24 hours so you know it has fully cured before swapping the stud for a bolt..

Even if you haven't used RTV..Swapping those 2 bolts around shouldn't pose a problem..Make sure you torque everything to spec..

Rayo..

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
If you are concerned, pull them one at a time. Reinstall, torque to spec then repeat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts