TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this nice muddy rust colored sediment full coolant since I got the car and since I will be driving to NC in a week or so I wanted to get it in tip top shape, which meant that nice swollen lower radiator hose had to be replaced. So today it was pretty nice out (earlier anyway) and I decided to go ahead and do it. I opend the drain on the radiator lower right side(atleast I think its the drain?) and nothing but a few trickles come out then it stops... So then I take the lower hose off the radiator and out comes this browinsh fluid that when bottled my brother came up the driveway and asked If I was changing my oil. So I ran the hose through the radiator for like 45 seconds untill I got clear water and still nothing coming out the drain.

I then took the upper hose off and cleaned the matting surface on the metal tube that goes to the thermostat that was white/rust coverd I sanded lightly and cleaned it off and it looks 100x better now. I ran water through the upper hose aswell and got a bunch more rust colored coolant out. After no more colored fluid was coming out of the radiator I moved on to the over flow canister that was a brownish tint I took it out and flushed/scrubbed it as good as possible ran the hose through it and cleaned off the low coolant sensor. I made sure the over flow hose was clear and clean as well. I put everything back together and poured in the new fluid and still nothing was coming out of the drain so I put it back in and closed it up.

I was going to flush the motor but I am scared to since I have HG sealant in there from the previous owner. I drove the car around and the fluid still is nice an clean no more rust tint whatso ever. It seems as though now the car warms up a little more then it used to but its still on the N in normal on the idiot gauge. Everything seems to be working well and now I don't have to worry about that hose anymore. I hope everything works out well and that I have no issues. I will get pics up later.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i had rust sediment from the coil inside the lower hose... was nasty. had my system steam flushed.. now its as green as can be!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and while I was in the middle of all this I found a little wire harness 2 pin female connector near the fuse box next to the over flow container, Its pretty short so I have no Idea where it could go. And no its not the coolant level sensor. Any ideas? I can get pics tomorrow if necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts