TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...yes I've looked and looked, but I'm only finding conflicting information.

I have a stock 1994 TBird LX (4.6) that I'm going to lower. However, before I do this, I thought that I'd ask the experts: you guys and gals (there are gals, right?)

What do I need? Shocks, struts and springs, of course. What about sway bar? Or any other bars for that matter.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks.
Pete

High speed, low drag. Guaranteed not to bend, break, bust, rust or collect dust, always locked, cocked and ready to rock since 1994!

·
Registered
37 Posts
springs yes

You only need new shocks if yours are old or worn out. Since bilstein is out now I'd recomend getting Ford Sport Shocks from Dan newman.

You shouldn't need any different sway bar links. You also should get (But not mandatory) new rear spring insulators to keep the back from sagging.

Also check your suspension while you are in there for bad stuff - check for bad upper and lower balljoints and tie rods. Also greese your tie rods while you got the wheels off. You may also need new upper shock mounts for the front.

You will want to let a shop rebuild the front shock/spring cartridge as it requires a wall mounted compressor and is not safe to do it yourself.

I have a set of intrax 2" drop springs for sale for $100 shipped in the for sale forum. PM me if you are interested.

Dan newman is the man for ford parts - do a search for his #.

also try www.rockauto.com

rich at mn12perofrmance.com has a good pictorial about it

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/springs/lowering_springs.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so I don't need anything special as far as struts and shocks goes, but springs i do.

What would happen if I did get a larger swar bar? Would it help my handeling? Would I need to change the front or rear?

Thanks!

Pete

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
First off, welcome you two to the forums

as for the lowering your bird, you've pretty much answered your own question

post some pics when you get it down :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
PistolPete said:
OK, so I don't need anything special as far as struts and shocks goes, but springs i do.

What would happen if I did get a larger swar bar? Would it help my handeling? Would I need to change the front or rear?

Thanks!

Pete

Yes it will improve performance. But the only way to change the front bar is to pull the engine or drop the whole Suspension member which is not fun.

I recommend just going one size bigger for the rear - it will help. And put urethane bushing on the front and rear bars.

Addco makes a rear bar upgrade - they will also send you special links for lowered cars to further improve performance. Check the link on the front page for member discounts they are listed. You can also get it from shox.com along with springs and stuff.

Do not go over one size bigger for the rear unless you upgrade the front one. You could develop cracks in the floor pan in the rear.

EDIT: you can find out what size bar your car has buy looking through the tech articles.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Did you mean "welcome" :D?

Welcome to the club guys.

You do not need new endlinks, unless you already have Addco's, which you don't. The factory style end links will rotate no matter what height the car is at. Rears you can easily do yourself, and the fronts you can remove the 'strut' from the car and take to a shop for them to change.

Everything is hit on above, but while you're doing springs you can do other things such as shocks while everything is apart.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Uh, no they don't.

The factory style REAR endlinks rotate to whatever angle the bar is at. No need to do the fronts either.

IF you had an aftermarket bar with the bolt+nut style endlinks, you would have to replace them because they would bend and break.

My Cat was just dropped, have an 89 SC bar with OEM endlinks, and have no problems.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My cat was lowered 4" a couple years ago, and didn't require new endlinks for the rear, like Kevin said, only need them on aftermarket swaybars.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are your sway bar ends pointing towards the sky?

Like / that? they should be --- parallel to the ground.

Ofcourse an endlink will allow some play...that's it's design. But it should be parallel to the ground when sitting on level ground.

If you want it right get the addco #008. They are 3.5 inches as opposed to the 5" stock endlinks...thereby compensating for the 1.5" drop.

I don't see a difference from a stock bar to an aftermarket bar and needing new endlinks. So it's thicker...the bar still needs to be parallel if it's aftermarket or stock.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
ornithophobia96 said:
Are your sway bar ends pointing towards the sky?

Like / that? they should be --- parallel to the ground.

Ofcourse an endlink will allow some play...that's it's design. But it should be parallel to the ground when sitting on level ground.
Perpendicular man, you want the links perpendicular to the ground and the sway bar parrallel. You had a brain fart I forgive you :tongue:

-Miller

·
Registered
364 Posts
So with a lowered car you dont need the shorter sway bar end links.. for front or rear. unless you have aftermarket bars..?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Pretty much, there are quite a few guys with dropped Birds and Cats who have their OEM endlinks on thier stock swaybars.

It's all in the design.

Now there is a point where you'll have to do something with endlinks, but not if you're only dropping it an inch or two.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I just put my rear lowering springs on and my endlink worked exactly how it should and now i'm waiting for a shop to switch my new shocks and springs for the front

1 - 16 of 16 Posts