TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Thunderbird has been lowered using Eibach springs. I brought my car in for repairs after haveing some front end problems and the mechanic told me I need upper ball joints/control arms. He also said because the car was lowered I will need longer upper control arms to stop the front wheels from tilting inward.

Is this true? :confused:
Is there a part available that solves this problem?
OR
Is there another way to stop the wheels from tilting?

I did search the forum and I didnt see much about this issue any help whould be greatly appreciated...

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
You probly do need new ball joints, but that mechanic is an idiot. The wheel wont ever tilt in or out (unless your way out of alignment spec). Buy new Moog upper arms and you will be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You mechanic is correct, however you don't need larger or longer control arms. What you need to buy is a camber kit from eibach to fix the inward pointing of the tire. Whenever a vehicle is lowered or raised you should always get a camber kit to keep your tires from going bad quickly. Without a camber kit you will wear down the inside of the tire because the wheel will sit at an angle. On another note, it is a good handling practice to have some camber and it will definitely help out on the turns. If you lowered the car more than an inch and a half or you just daily drive the car get the camber kit!! Save yourself money and time down the road.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You don't need a "camber kit". There's enough range on the stock camber adjusting bolt on the inner LCA to compensate for a lowered car. My SC has been lowered 2" for 15 years......

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,606 Posts
You mechanic is correct, however you don't need larger or longer control arms. What you need to buy is a camber kit from eibach to fix the inward pointing of the tire. Whenever a vehicle is lowered or raised you should always get a camber kit to keep your tires from going bad quickly. Without a camber kit you will wear down the inside of the tire because the wheel will sit at an angle. On another note, it is a good handling practice to have some camber and it will definitely help out on the turns. If you lowered the car more than an inch and a half or you just daily drive the car get the camber kit!! Save yourself money and time down the road.
Just so you know, these are not on the fox platform;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you lower it 1 1/2 inches, and there is not enough adjustment on the lower control arm, them you most likely have worn parts. If lowering 2 inches or more, you most likely will exceed the limits of the adjusters. If so, read this.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/camber.htm

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I had my bird lowered 3" and there still was room for adjustment. No new parts required unless you have worn out components, which you should replace anyway.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My interpretation of all this is that the mechanic is trying to tell you that by lowering the car, you have now setup a situation where you will have negative camber gain as the suspension compresses. I looked at this on my car a while ago, but do not remember the details. At stock ride height, I think I recall the suspension produces mild positive camber gain before going negative. On a lowered car, the suspension starts out with negative camber gain. This is not necessarily bad. You want some negative gain so the tires lean into a turn. Some cars have been purposely modified to do this. You don't want too much though. This should definitely not be a problem with any of the lowering springs available on the market, so don't worry about it.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hello

What is this camber kit? I could use more camber.
Where does it affect camber on a Thunderbird?

Front & rear kits?

·
Registered
893 Posts
The link 392bird posted is the only "camber kit" you'll find, and it's just a modification rather than a kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts