TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered my car, near 3-3.5" all around, the rear was actually lowered about 4-4.5" but i put air bags in to even it out. Anyways....this noise I hear isn't constant...it happens like every few weeks or so...I can't figure out for the life of me what it is. It's coming from the rear passenger side wheel, kinda like the spring isnt sitting right, but I know that's not it because if I let the air out of the bags it still does it. The sway bar end links were cut down and welded, new bushings on those. The wheels are tightened properly. If anyone has a suggestion please be free to speak. I'd like to correct this problem because it's so loud it sometimes competes with my stereo.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
is it a "pop" a "sweak" a "creak" are you truning, just driving staight? when you hit a bump?

also what kind of bag is it? is it those orange or blue "helper" springs that fit inside the coil, you said you still had it in there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noise description

its like a popping sound, sounds more like a knock than a pop but it almost sounds as if it comes from the trunk area too...yes its the helper bags........the red ones made by Air Lift........it sounds when i hit a bump........even the smallest little crack in the road can be heard....but the bigger the bump or hole, the louder the noise......does it driving straight and turning

·
Registered
209 Posts
my girl had that problem

she has a import and we kept hearing a nasty sound from the same side u are and we kept thinking it was because we just lowered it but we ended up finding out that it was her exaust hitting it would only do it every no and then but just my .02 maybe it will help maybe not ....david

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not possible.....

The exhaust is on the drivers side of our cars, I don't think it's possible for it to be making a noise on the opposite side of the car, even the piece of pipe that bends over to the differential isn't far enough over to that side of the car to make a noise like that. To me it seems like if I hit a bump wrong it starts doing it.....one day it was doing it and I had to go out of town (30 min. drive) and the road I was driving on was a really curved road...by the time I got back home the noise had disappeared and stayed away for about 2 weeks if not longer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What???

This should actually be in "Suspension" but we don't seem to have that category....why not Sir William???

·
Registered
244 Posts
have you checked your nuts on the shock? check the top ones. i think the springs will seat themselves properly after a while, so it probably isn't one of them.

·
Registered
970 Posts
yeah I have had this same problem for a while.

It did it a few years ago...then suddenly dissapeared until I put the tociko shocks on it. I remember about 4 years ago we all had this discussion on this website about the noise, as several people had experienced it. No one has found a solution that I know of.

It seems to be totaly unrelated to the shocks though. I have adjusted and readjusted my shocks to see if i could fix it, or even change the sound, but it is consistant. If I ride on smooth roads for a while...it stays quiet for a few hours (once I hit rough roads again). strange...

Inside the car it is a thumping sound, but when i have the window rolled down I can hear a clanking (metal on metal sound) near the passanger rear wheel.

I'm putting on springs next week, so i may try to see what I can come up with.

I'll probably have my brother sit in the trunk (with the lid open!) while i drive around and he can listen.

It is sooooo annoying though,
-danimal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts