TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after checking the threads this seems to be a common thing to go through, a complete front suspension rebuild on a mn12.
Followed by a common thought "might as well do any suspension mods im wanting to do while im at it".

Anyhow on to my question. Im wanting to make my cougar a street/auto-x car ( I know a couple of people on here auto-x with mn12's).
Right now my top three spring options are H&R, Eibach Pro, and Vogtland and Im searching for opinions or other brands. Im looking for a set that puts performance over comfort, Ive got the pontiac for DD use and drove a 944 as a DD for a couple of years so a harsh ride wont bother me at all.
Thanks all

·
Registered
433 Posts
while this is up i want to lower my car, however just bought monroe "quick srtuts" is what they call them, there coil over, BUT i want to confirm that i CAN NOT use the stock ride height shocks (the monroes) with lowered
springs..?? another words just takes the springs that came on the monroes off and put the lowering springs on..

·
Registered
604 Posts
while this is up i want to lower my car, however just bought monroe "quick srtuts" is what they call them, there coil over, BUT i want to confirm that i CAN NOT use the stock ride height shocks (the monroes) with lowered
springs..?? another words just takes the springs that came on the monroes off and put the lowering springs on..
Why not? Stock suspensions were meant to take a lot of abuse. Especially the rears which were meant to withstand the weight of 3 passengers in the back and a trunk full of people. If you have ever seen this you know how much lower the car sits. Stock replacement struts are built just the same so if you are worried about safety concerns or whatever, dont be.

The ride quality wont change much with 1.5" drop. Any lower than 2" and you start to have issues.

·
Registered
418 Posts

you MAY be correct. i am not familair with the exact monroes that you bought.

i absolutely had a problem with monroes that were only intended for stock ride heights. i had a dangerous bounce at high speed. i had to redo the fronts with shocks that were properly valved for lowered ride heights.

you definately need to research the shocks you have. besides searching here, i think monroe has an 800 customer service line. you might try that.

i ended up using OE Tbird Sport front shocks based on advice from this forum. And they do work much better on my lowered car than monroes ever did. It appears that these shocks are valved much differently than monroes.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Why not? Stock suspensions were meant to take a lot of abuse. Especially the rears which were meant to withstand the weight of 3 passengers in the back and a trunk full of people. If you have ever seen this you know how much lower the car sits. Stock replacement struts are built just the same so if you are worried about safety concerns or whatever, dont be.

The ride quality wont change much with 1.5" drop. Any lower than 2" and you start to have issues.
im sorry, but that is not completely correct. the OEM shocks are meant to be set at OEM ride height as they are valving specific. OEM shocks WILL wear out quicker, as its not a matter of if, but when.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hmmm ya, there seems to some differing opinions, iv gotten both good and bad through searching, I'll have to look into the shocks I bought.. they are brand new too, should have considered this b4. OHWELL. thanks for the help guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts