TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up some cobra rims from cudaz101 soon and will be running a 245 45 17 in front and a 275 40 17 in back. I have a 97 thunderbird sport and want to lower it 1 to 1.5 inches. With this tire setup, will i have clearance/rubbing issues? Also any pics of this would be awesome.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had rubbing problems in back with 275/40-17 on a stock ride height car. Now I've got 255/45-17 the whole way around on Vogtland springs and have no problems.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have 275/40/18 in the rear and had some serious rubbing...
Had my fenders rolled and now it works great..
Oh... My car is lowered with Eibachs abotu 1.5"

//Per

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had to do a roll on my mark to fit the 275's. I only had a little rubbing over large bumps. Also different brand 275's will actually be quite a bit different in actual width. I've seen nitto 275's and they look more like my yokohama es100 245's. From what I've seen the yoko's tend to run a little wide, looking at about 11 inches of tire on the ground with the 275's.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If you lower the car look at getting AirLift airbags first before you resort to rolling the fenders. You can find them in a JCWhitney catalog.

Russell

·
Registered
974 Posts
Getting airlift bags does not solve the simple geometry problem that if the car goes low enough over a bump the tire will most likely hit the fender. If the tires are put on and it clears then great. I think airlifts are a good idea on a lowered car, no question there, but it's a band aid fix. It's good to be able to bring your car back up to riding height when a few friends get in or your trunk is loaded down. I mean in my mark I could have just moved the rear sensor and jacked up the back end but it's by no means a fix. Rolling the fenders is a lot less intrusive then most people think. There are tools that can be rented that do a nice clean job of rolling with nothing noticeable from outside. I don't have any personal experience with the baseball bat method but there's a really good chance you will also bend the outside of the fender too. If you are going to put some steam rollers on back be prepared to take care of clearance issues, get the right tools, and do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
With 10psi in my bags I don't ever rub. I have since rolled my fenders to where they are flat and lowered the bag pressure to the minimum of 5 psi and haven't had any problems. Where would you rent a tool to do it? I have never seen any business offering tools to roll your fender....I had a friend with a very nice fender roller and we did mine.

Look back at what I said too:

96bird said:
If you lower the car look at getting AirLift airbags first before you resort to rolling the fenders.
Russell

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
just lowered with the st springs, and i run 255/45/17 on 17x8.5 y2k cobras, and so far no rubbing at all

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm sporting the Vogtland GP springs with 17X9 Cobra's and 245/45's. I have no rubbing issues.

Joe

·
Registered
974 Posts
There were a few places on line but I believe I rented it from a place in texas that specializes in 300zx's. I was at www.splparts.com or something. I had to put a deposit but once it was returned it cost me about $40 or something. They don't usually ship it out but I called and they said no problem. That tool was so easy and did a great job. Only way I will ever roll a fender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts