TCCoA Forums banner

Lowering ?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Philippe Mentor 
#1 ·
I'm tight for money but seriously want to lower my bird. I've worked on a few older cars and 1 of them is my dads 67 Mustang and to lower it we cut the springs on it, (also did the Shelby 1" drop in the front). I also cut the springs on my uncle's 91 Integra to lower it. I'm looking for opinions on it bc most people I talk to frown upon it. But the 2 times I've done it we had good results. So I'd appreciate any insight or tips. Thank you.

#2 ·
If all you are looking for is the lower stance, and not necessarily an improvement in handling, then go ahead and cut the stock springs. If you want it to handle well too, then get some stock SC/sport springs, and cut a coil off those, but be forewarned that will give you a very stiff ride.

#3 ·
How much off the coil should I cut to get what a 3/4 drop would be say 6in from the tip of the spring curving around or more

#4 · (Edited)
I cut a total 1 coil off the front SPORT springs and 5/8 coil off the rear SPORT coils from my '92 Thunderbird Sport and it now now has 27-5/8 inches between the ground and the edge of the fender at the top of the arch, where the metal rolls to the lip, at all 4 fenders.

If you cut, cut from the bottom of the spring and orient the rears so the new pigatil end, 3" is in the lower spring bucket out towards the wheel furthest from car center line. I used a cut off saw blade in a old all metal Skill Saw I use just for metal work. Dressed the ends and painted.

I installed Tokico Blue HP shocks and UCAs @ same time and run 16 X 7 wheels with P225/60-16 Goodyear RS-A tires.

I did this in September 2008, maybe 6-7,000 miles ago. No problems. Car has a bit over 140,000+ miles. Did stiffen it up, but not bad. It is less tollerant to road alignmemnt changes like going intop parking lots from the street.

Stock sway bars.

I have a set of SPORT coils set aside for my '95 to do same sometime.

Two other threads I posted in.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125480

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=115311

:)

#5 ·
I'm tight for money but seriously. want to lower my bird. I've worked on a few older cars and 1 of them is my dads 67 Mustang and to lower it we cut the springs on it, (also did the Shelby 1" drop in the front). I also cut the springs on my uncle's 91 Integra to lower it. I'm looking for opinions on it bc most people I talk to frown upon it. But the 2 times I've done it we had good results. So I'd appreciate any insight or tips. Thank you.
If you had searched you would know what the proper way is to lower your Bird. You may want to join a H Forum where everything goes and with a few Stickers you'll get the Performance Car of your Dreams.
I really don't know why PPL even replay to your question!

-Maic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.