TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I don't own a Thunderbird but rather a Mark 7, but since this is a AOD question I'll send it here.

I was driving my car awhile ago and I felt that the tranny didn't seem to wanna do it's thing. It was producing power in all the gears but felt like it was running up each gear a little longer and shifting was slower. I drove it home being very careful with it and kept it curbside for two days until I discovered that the TV grommit fell off the car releasing the TV cable. I bought a new grommit (actually two, the guy didn't know which one to sell me so I bought a black one and a white one, and put the black one on the car since it seemed "firmer"), and put that on, and did the TV cable adjustment (as per stepping on the gas and sizing it up, I don't own the tool). Now the tranny feels good again, but the overdrive is funny. It can run all the gears just fine, oodles of good power and quick, almost aggressive shifting (I think I need to adjust the TV back towards min a little bit), but when it goes into the "OD gear", it feels like the tranny just drops into neutral. So here's what I don't get, why does it work when the TV cable is off but not when it's on and properly adjusted? Does something else need to be adjusted also?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the AOD, but I have read in many sources that it is VERY easy to ruin the transmission of the TV is not adjusted properly. Someone can correct me, but I would recommend a professional adjustment at a dealership (ack! I can’t believe I just said that!!) or competent transmission shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heh, yeah, I'm considering it anyway if no-one can come up with a solution here. The instructions I used were precise to 5/16ths an inch. If anyone is interested, I used instructions here, which are reproduced on several other websites also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm....so I followed the adjustment instructions, to what I thought was the T. then someone commented on another forum I follow that the cablestop needs to be flush with the adjustment rail. Checking my car with the engine off, low and behold, my cablestop is about 1/4th and inch away from the rail when you just pull it enough to get rid of the slack. I slid the adjustment block an extra 1/4th an inch (just onto the MAX line, I want to be slightly conservative) and the OD gear comes back. It's pulling weakly, but it's definatly pulling the car enough to maintain speed. Amazingly, the car will also shift out of OD. So it's fairly obvious to me that if I adjust it a hair further, OD will pull like it's supposed to. Looks like cable age almost killed another tranny. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts