Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a philosophical question - do you believe in luck? Why or why not?

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
Haha, first VOTE, and, you better friggin believe it. Without luck, I wouldn't be here.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
No. There is a reason for everything. Life is a result of all of the choices that you are presented with and the result of the decisions that you make. Sometimes things coincide and work for you. If you are making the right choices, things will flow and events will be to your advantage. I also beleive that there can be a divine intervention of various levels that aid in the choices you make. Whatever is the source of that, I have no idea.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Yes and no, I agree with Soop, but I consider luck as more of a measure of how well things are going, how many things go the way you want them to, and how many things blow up in your face and wreak havoc on everything.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
StupidFly said:
kind of a cosmic air/fuel ratio?
haha! I like that analogy

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Luck, definition: The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events.
Synonyms include destiny and fate.

Luck is there; people have different words for it.

"If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...."

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Luck? Nope. Those who believe in luck - probably experienced Divine Intervention, including myself :D!

·
Smoothmeister K
887 Posts
I believe luck is a term for a random probability phenomena. When we experience positive events that only "luck" could cause, we'd like to think we got lucky.
I don't have a lot of faith in this term, but when something good happens that's out of the ordinary, I like to think that I got lucky. The odds that were against me, were actually in favor, and instead of being incredulous, I just like to think that luck was on my side.
I think some people take it way too serious (baseball players with their superstitions), and it can become dangerous to say that luck causes everything to happen, and I can say I certainly do not believe in those facetious irrational beliefs.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
It seems like those that say there is no luck, do not tend to vote either. Correlation?

3 votes for "No Luck"?:)

By Ironchopz def
Luck, definition: The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events.
Synonyms include destiny and fate.
, Luck exists randomly good or bad. I wouldn't agree with that definition. I think people tend to regard luck as something that they have, either good or bad, and is applied to them for some reason or another at different times. IE "I've had a run of bad luck." or "Lady Luck is on my side."

I prefer syncronicity or flow.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I said yes but i think you could argue yes or no just as easily. I think you can have an unlimited amount of skill doing something but still screw stuff up, sometimes things just dont go right. Luck isnt really something to beleive it, its just when random forces outside our control happen to come together. If you believe in God you can have even better luck, because he can control anything. Just my 2 cents..

Greg

·
Registered
890 Posts
I really don't see how you can say there is no such thing as 'luck'. It seems to me that those of you who say there is no luck are reading more into the word than I am.

Now if the question means "can you have good luck (in general) or bad luck in your life, and are going to be that way for life" then I say there is no such thing.

If you mean can something be good luck or bad luck (individually), then of course there is luck.

Are you lucky to win the lottery? Of course the odds say that someone will win eventually, so the fact that there is a winner is not luck. But you would be VERY lucky to be that person. For any individual, it is luck to win.

It seems like the differences of opinion are based on each persons definition of luck. It has taken me since this poll started to put this into words, and I'm still not satisfied, but maybe someone can elaborate on this. (or you all can say I'm just nuts..............)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts