1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've driven three different Teslas and let me tell you once you drive one, all other cars feel underpowered and kinda crappy. Holy F they're amazing. Seriously.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Holy crap that's fast! :)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If I could afford a Model S, I would definitely buy one. The basic package Model S is faster than BMW M5 at launch and about half car length slower on the 1/4 mile than said M5, so...yea :D.

Also, Musk is my modern day hero so I might have some bias, lol.

:)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I test drove the P85D and while the acceleration was stunning, the car was absolutely boring to drive. 4500LBs does NOT make a nimble car. If I was in the market for a car in this range, I would consider it but honestly, there are a ton of other cars I'd buy first.

At $5K for the upgrade though, it seems like a pretty high profit item considering they just upgraded the fuses, battery module interconnect material, and tweaked the SW to allow for more current draw. Pure $$$ if you ask me... which is fine because 'Muriccan way.
http://jalopnik.com/holy-****-inconel-my-company-machines-this-for-the-ho-1718591877

The next Tesla Roadster might be interesting though if they can keep the weight down. They are targeting 2019 so I'd imagine it will be available in the early 2020s...
http://jalopnik.com/theres-going-to-be-a-brand-new-tesla-roadster-soon-1718609632

·
Super Moderator
9,184 Posts
Those things are all over the place here. I see one or two a week on average. Not bad looking things IMHO, but ... pricey for sure.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For that much Jack, I could buy a used Lambo, and lose my license Just As Fast. :)

I don't need a car that could burn to the ground from getting wet. (salt water, but fire??)

Or hitting something with the "front battery". WTF is that?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
There have been only 3 Tesla Model S cars on fire. For the number of other car fires that occur daily, I'd say that Tesla is doing a pretty good job at keeping the fires under control.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Those things are all over the place here. I see one or two a week on average. Not bad looking things IMHO, but ... pricey for sure.
I see them every day, these things are all over the place here. Ive been curious as to what the factory in Fremont looks like inside now, when I worked there it was GM / Toyota and had that old factory feel.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had a Telsa factory tour. Signed a NDA so can't say anything ;) If you search YouTube or Google the factory you'll see it's bright white inside, feels like an assembly plant but clean, bright, and somewhat high tech. I guess that'd be safe to say.

This might help though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mzV7Y9B0tk&index=6&list=WL

The video is not entirely up-to-date as cars move down a moving assembly line like most (all?) other plants, the cars are not on trolleys.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There have been only 3 Tesla Model S cars on fire. For the number of other car fires that occur daily, I'd say that Tesla is doing a pretty good job at keeping the fires under control.
I'm willing to bet that the % of Ferraris that catch on fire is way higher than the percentage of Teslas.

My source: the internet.
Which never lies.
-g

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I had a Telsa factory tour. Signed a NDA so can't say anything ;) If you search YouTube or Google the factory you'll see it's bright white inside, feels like an assembly plant but clean, bright, and somewhat high tech. I guess that'd be safe to say.

This might help though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mzV7Y9B0tk&index=6&list=WL

The video is not entirely up-to-date as cars move down a moving assembly line like most (all?) other plants, the cars are not on trolleys.
Video doesnt work in my "country" due to copyright. LOL

The only part of the plant that was bright white when I worked there was the Passenger paint department and that is a seperate building from the actual assembly plant. I cant imagine you have any knowledge of the plant that I dont already know. We had each work station set up for ergonomics, and parts were delivered to the stations by robots. I think the only thing they are doing differently is the aluminum body parts and the batteries. I still have the 10th anniversary NUMMI book with pictures of the ground breaking ceremony with Toyota / GM, and Geo Metro's rolling down the line. A lot of the old timers I worked with at the plant came from the original GM assembly where things were much more lax, drinking and smoking on the job, etc.

In Mexico, the Toyota Tacoma trucks are pushed down the assembly line by hand, but they make less than $5 per day .. the guys who came up here for training couldnt even afford to eat off the taco truck. The guys who came from the Texas plant dont make much more than that per hour, but they are non-union. I wouldnt buy a car or truck that wasnt built by UAW.

The company I work for now got the contract to build the mechanical piping and HVAC at Tesla's new battery factory in Nevada I think.

I'm willing to bet that the % of Ferraris that catch on fire is way higher than the percentage of Teslas.

My source: the internet.
Which never lies.
-g
Didnt I show you the melted pieces of aluminum I had in my garage ?? That came from a Ferrari that went off a cliff at the Virginia City hill climb event in Nevada, the guy broke his neck, and his car caught on fire. The aluminum was left over on the tow truck. Id say the % of Ferraris catching on fire is substantially higher than Teslas based on first hand experience.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Video doesnt work in my "country" due to copyright. LOL

The only part of the plant that was bright white when I worked there was the Passenger paint department and that is a seperate building from the actual assembly plant. I cant imagine you have any knowledge of the plant that I dont already know. We had each work station set up for ergonomics, and parts were delivered to the stations by robots. I think the only thing they are doing differently is the aluminum body parts and the batteries. I still have the 10th anniversary NUMMI book with pictures of the ground breaking ceremony with Toyota / GM, and Geo Metro's rolling down the line. A lot of the old timers I worked with at the plant came from the original GM assembly where things were much more lax, drinking and smoking on the job, etc.

In Mexico, the Toyota Tacoma trucks are pushed down the assembly line by hand, but they make less than $5 per day .. the guys who came up here for training couldnt even afford to eat off the taco truck.

The company I work for now got the contract to build the mechanical piping and HVAC at Tesla's new battery factory in Nevada I think.

Didnt I show you the melted pieces of aluminum I had in my garage ?? That came from a Ferrari that went off a cliff at the Virginia City hill climb event in Nevada, the guy broke his neck, and his car caught on fire. The aluminum was left over on the tow truck. Id say the % of Ferraris catching on fire is substantially higher than Teslas based on first hand experience.
Nope.

When I was a kid, I met a guy in Austin (friend of my dad's friend) that had a toasted 308 in his collection (which also included a bunch of gorgeous Jags). He said it was a reminder to himself to never buy another Ferrari.

Tnat being said, I'd consider one.. if I had a detached garage.
-g

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If you've seen more than 3 Ferraris burned down first hand between 2012 and present, then you've seen more Ferraris than anyone who's seen a Tesla involved in a fire.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If you've seen more than 3 Ferraris burned down first hand between 2012 and present, then you've seen more Ferraris than anyone who's seen a Tesla involved in a fire.
Considering this thread is going nowhere useful:

Q: Have you seen more than 3 burned CDs first hand between 2012 and present?
I haven't.
-g

1 - 20 of 24 Posts