TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do lug nut locks really work? ... because I know what people do to rip off wheels. Its really ****ty. obviously any thing i can do to protect the wheels is worth it but ive heard that u can easily work around the locks with imitation tools.:confused:

·
Registered
575 Posts
they will keep the amateurs away, just like a good alarm. any pro will zip right past them. think of them as any other theft deterrent, good to keep the small timers away, and worth it at usually just $20 for a full set.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Most small timers even know the tricks, but it takes longer to get them off, so you're less of a target than the guy down the street.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
There was this person that once told me that the longer and harder you make it for them to steal your property, the less of a chance that they will probably target you. Thieves look for easy prey. They don't like to work for those rims stereos and even cars.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
As my father used to say "Locks keep honest people honest". They aren't going to stop someone who really wants your car but it will deter those who just kinda thought about it. And yes, I have a set.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a set on my tbird when i got it, just the ones from the factory and after like 8 months i lost it. So i go to Fords and they dont have a key bc they threw it away cuz no-one has them anymore and said it would cost 80 bucks(cdn) to take them off.So i had to go to a junkyard and they had to chizzel them off.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had that problem with my crown vic. I went to the mechanic and he pulled out a set of lock removal tools. He got them out without damaging the locks. The person that had replaced my tires tightened them too much. I was charged 5 dollars to have them removed. Any good mechanic has these tools. A lot of tire places and junk yards like to break them off.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Well um.. if you don't have the key, why would you want the locks back?

·
Registered
414 Posts
In my case i had the key. The person that tightened my lug nuts used an impact wrench. I thought that i screwed up the key, but when i took it to my mechanic he took out a set that was made for impact wrenches. He told me that the last person overtightened the lugs as well as the locks. After he was done everything was fine. I was able to use the key again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts