TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would post this here for quicker responses.

I tried taking my rims off last week, but when I got to the locking nuts, I ended up rounding the key and lug nut itself a bit. The shop put them on a little too hard. My problem now is, how am I going to get the lug nut off? I can't put a socket around it, because it's a complete circle. Should I order a new key and try it again? Or just take it to the shop who did it, to try and remove it for me?

·
Registered
767 Posts
they have special sockets with reverse threads that you can use to bust them off,they worked well when i lost the key to my first set of wheel locks,just go to pepboys or somthing look by the lugnuts and such and they should be there,think they were like 10 bucks and you get two different sizes

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the problem is the space between the lug nut and the rim. The lug nuts are recessed into the rim, not allowing much room. So I doubt they will fit.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Most tire shops should have those pound on/thread on sockets as well for removing locking lugnuts. Whether you have room for them to do their thing is the question...

·
It is nice
885 Posts
I would buy a new lugnut key first and try again but be careful. Don't use an impact. I'f that don't work your stuck bringing it in they might have to weld something on it to remove them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
There isnt much of anything for the key to grip. I'm pretty sure an impact wasnt used to attempt removal. The next step is the reverse thread things I believe.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
you will have to replace studs... but, uh. drill four holes in the sides.. like straight down.. breaking the lugnut,,, chip away with a flathead.. replace the suds and voila.. i bought my car. had lockers on it, owner didnt have the damn key.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Lugs

The lugs on Justin Case's car are recessed as well. They worked fine.

Go to Pepboys or Sears and get a set of bolt outs, They worked very well for us.

You could try to weld a nut on the lug and remove it. Be sure to heat the lug with a propane torch to help loosen it.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I took it to Sears, since my buddy works there. They didn't have anything that would fit over the lock into the recessed hole. So what I am going to do is order a new key and then take it over to the shop that put them on. Let them deal with it since it's their fault.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Any shop should be able to use an impact air chisel to get the factory lock nut off the lug. There could be some scarring of the rim or you might have to replace a lug bolt, but it will come off. If you have aftermarket rims with reccesed lug nuts then you may lose the rim.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still haven't removed this yet. My dad tried using an air chisel but it's just too close to the rim. So we are pretty much screwed. I was looking through the shop manual today while he was working on it. We can access the nut that holds the hub assembly on. If we removed that, we could take the whole wheel off along with the drum, correct? Then we could just cut that bolt off and replace it. It sounds good to me, but I'm not sure if it would work like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts