TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there is anyway u can get rid of a luggage on the trunk lid. i thought about removing and i still want to but i'm worried about holes from the screws, is there anything u can fill them with. also if i were to put something there in its place what would u suggest. thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
removing it...

I've looked at this long and hard for a half a year or so as I have that ugly thing on my trunk too. The screw holes are going to be your biggest nightmare. Do NOT use any type of body filler like Bondo® or glass on it as you will find that with repeated opening and closing of the trunk and suck, or with subs, that it won't last... THe only option I have found for those holes is to take it to a welding shop and have the holes welded shut and ground down flat, then have the lid sandblasted and repainted to match.

-mj

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: removing it...

Maybe you guys should consider finding a replacement trunk lid. Maybe at a junkyard or off www.car-part.com. That could be more expensive, as i don't know how much the welding would cost. But in any case you wouldn't have to worry about holes in your trunk.

·
Registered
176 Posts
well...

A new decklid typically runs about $150 or more in any kind of reasonable condition... and your lucky if it matches your paintjob.. if not, your still looking at sandblasting and repaininting... Any decent wirefeed or TIG welder setup shop should do the decklid for 20 to 40$ tops, as the 16 holes are 10 minutes worth of work tops and 30 if they have to change wire spools for the metal type... so if you have a decent metal shop in the area and someone that does paint / body work that doesn't require 3 left testicles in payment, i'd stick with your stock decklid

-mj

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: well...

n0esc said:
A new decklid typically runs about $150 or more in any kind of reasonable condition... and your lucky if it matches your paintjob.. if not, your still looking at sandblasting and repaininting... Any decent wirefeed or TIG welder setup shop should do the decklid for 20 to 40$ tops, as the 16 holes are 10 minutes worth of work tops and 30 if they have to change wire spools for the metal type... so if you have a decent metal shop in the area and someone that does paint / body work that doesn't require 3 left testicles in payment, i'd stick with your stock decklid

-mj
well, there ya go! :) So much for my split second idea. :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey...

It was worth a shot, and throwing other ideas out there is the only way things can get done sometimes.

-mj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts