TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaned my 92 to my brother almost 3 months ago while he was in school and his truck broke a crank.

It was to be for 3 weeks until he was back to work and he had his loan to buy something else. He has had the loan since out of school but has repeatedly said he hasn't found the vehicle he was looking for. I have repeatedly asking him to look harder.

I have babied the car for the 6 years that I have had it. It ran perfectly when I loaned it to them and asked to be easy on it. He agreed to repair anything that went wrong.

In the last two weeks, the starter needed to be replaced. Burned completely out. I think due to his wife never having driven a SEFI before (carbed only prev) and not getting the idea how to start it. They paid.

The timing chain cover began leaking and I think she drove it while it was leaking. $500 bill. No noticable coolant evidence in the oil when they changed it. They paid.

Now there is no oil pressure when it is given throttle. The shop wanted him to bring it in so they could drop the pan and check it out. I told him to check the sending unit. He says that's not it and he talked to a Ford Tech who told him that these 3.8s leak coolant into the block when the timing chain gasket goes, and once that happens it's screwed. Bigger bill coming.

I told him to park it until I can look at it and see if there is anything that I can do. If I have to pull the engine, I have to consider options.

The tires are so bald now that they are cupped. I pointed out the low tread when they first borrowed it. This was a short term loaner. I have had it for sale and had hoped that while it was being driven, more people would see it than parked. Now this thing is worthless until another $1200+ (CDN) is sunk into it.

I am very pissed, but this is my brother. I feel bad about him putting more money into it, but I am sure that it wasn't driven as carefully as I had hoped. I have put a ton of money into this. $1500 alone just before parking it. There is way too much new stuff on it to list.

Trying to decide on how to deal with this without putting off the family.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
List of repairs I have done:

Heads done & FelPro gaskets 1998
Serpentine Belt 1998
ABS Master replaced (Damn expensive) 1998
Complete disc/caliper overhaul all round (This 5 months after ABS master) 2000
Alternator 2000
Water pump 1999
Have you ever seen a blown battery? I have. Cause: see “Alternator”. 2000
Tie-rods & upper arm/joints 2001
Brake calipers and rotors replaced 2001
Wheel bearings front and back right side 2002
Rear seal 1999
Power steering lines replaced (rubber sleeve on line rotted and wore hole in it and oil pan) 2000
Oil pan repaired 2000
Drivers and passenger sides motor mounts. Anchor. 2003
Power steering fluid flush, 3x. 2000, 2002, 2003
Motorcraft wires. Aug 2003 Last time
Motorcraft Plugs. Aug 2003 Last time
IAC. Sept 2003
PFE. Sept 2003
Temp Sensor. Sept 2003
Trans flush, 3x. Sept 2003
Trans Filter Sept 2003
New Brake Pads and rotors installed on all four. Sept 2003
Coolant Flush Oct 2003
Motorcraft T-Stat Oct 2003
Motorcraft Rad Cap Oct 2003
Upper and Lower Rad Hoses Oct 2003
Distributor & Rotors x 4. Sept 2003

Regular tune ups and fluid changes like clockwork.

I parked it Oct 2003 when I bought the SC and started it and ran it twice a week while parked.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
While family is family, you laid out the terms ahead of time.

I would go lay down the law. Is there something very specific he's looking for? Beggars can't be choosers, and well if you can't get what you want right away you take what you can get.

I'm not saying by any means he should buy something he doesn't want, but he's going to have to settle with something sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hmmm, complex situation....

Did you suspect it was going to die when you loaned it to him? If I loaned my brother a car and he broke it he'd fully expect to have to fix it before returning it, same as I would if I borrowed his. I might ease those expectations some if I suspected there was a problem in the making when I loaned it to him...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doodaa said:
Hmmm, complex situation....

Did you suspect it was going to die when you loaned it to him? If I loaned my brother a car and he broke it he'd fully expect to have to fix it before returning it, same as I would if I borrowed his. I might ease those expectations some if I suspected there was a problem in the making when I loaned it to him...
The only concern that I had was that it has just over 200,000 miles on it, but I looked after it well. I made it clear that although it was running like new, it was an older engine and had to watch fluid levels and engine temp.

I believe she drove it while the gasket was leaking and temp read too high. I specifically told them not to drive it if the temp gauge rose, knowing the potential issues with these engines. I was very clear about that.

Who knows if the shop they had do work on it screwed something up in replacing the gasket.

That car was my baby for a long time. Was difficult to park it when I bought the SC.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LiquidCougar said:
While family is family, you laid out the terms ahead of time.

I would go lay down the law. Is there something very specific he's looking for? Beggars can't be choosers, and well if you can't get what you want right away you take what you can get.

I'm not saying by any means he should buy something he doesn't want, but he's going to have to settle with something sooner or later.
Exactly. But now the damage is done and he is now looking to get something. Finally, now that he doesn't have a vehicle to drive and I told him to park it.

My other brother warned me.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Looks like you've only got 2 options:

1. Let your brother/sister in law off the hook and let it go.

2. Raise, um, heck with your brother.

Neither sounds real good from here but if it was me I'd rile the family up some unless he's footing the bill to fix it.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
That sucks, but some people won't get their asses in gear until they're half way up sh*t's creek without a paddle.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
moral of the story... family can just go rent a car. :(

I can see it now.. they flooded the engine, finally get it started and floored the gas thinking that will "help" it next time to start better. argh... I'd never loan a car to anyone.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If I were you i would probably make him buy the car for your asking price before you parked it. It sounds like they got the car, and drove the hell out of it because it wasn't theirs. Then they sound sort of like they expect you to cover for it. I know hes your brother but yah.....

My dad/me learned the hard way. We put money together and bought our truck(82 f150 he bought my half out later on though because I no longer needed it) but he let my moms brother borrow it. They had it for a WEEK and managed to destroy the rotors, brake pads, master cylinder and the distributer went out after he had it. He drove the auto truck like a 5spd-easing the breaks out like a clutch and giveing it gas-for nearly 900 miles in one week. Then on the distributor, he some how broke the gear on it because he decided to try to set the timing on it, he didnt know how and had never done it before. When I picked it up, he refused to pay for any damages saying it was like that when he got it:rolleyes:

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
this is why I do not let anyone drive my car (and soon to be carS) -- people do not respect something they didn't pay for / take care of / etc. I think there's ...2 people on this planet I'd trust driving my cars, neither of which are family members.

Tell him to go buy a beater and dare them to touch your car.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Id say your 3.8 was a Piece of junk to begin with and was bound to fail one way or another, regardless of how well you maintained it, its just unfortunate they spent so much money to replace parts that were already worn to a certain extent by the time you let them borrow it. I wouldnt freak out and blame somebody else for things that were bound to go bad eventually, its not like they were doing donuts, neutral drops and brake stands. You cant say an engine with 200,000 miles runs "like new" , if you have to baby it and constantly watch the temp gauge it had something wrong with it already.
- Dan

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan said:
Id say your 3.8 was a Piece of junk to begin with and was bound to fail one way or another, regardless of how well you maintained it, its just unfortunate they spent so much money to replace parts that were already worn to a certain extent by the time you let them borrow it. I wouldnt freak out and blame somebody else for things that were bound to go bad eventually, its not like they were doing donuts, neutral drops and brake stands. You cant say an engine with 200,000 miles runs "like new" , if you have to baby it and constantly watch the temp gauge it had something wrong with it already.
- Dan
I appreciate that you feel that it is a piece of junk. Appreciate that. Who are you saying spent money on parts? These will run many hundreds of thousands of miles if maintained properly.

By baby, I mean that I took care of it and didn't run the crap out of it. We all know that heat is the primary concern with these engines. I advised them of that and told them to stop and do not drive it if the temperature goes up. They just said yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll take care of everything. I have driven it on many trips and never a major issue.

They took it on a trip through the Rocky Mountains and back, 9 hours each way.
In 2.5 months, they changed the oil once when it had to go into the shop. You think that is looking after it?

My sister-in-law runs vehicles without a clue to monitoring things. They knew exactly the concerns. There was nothing "wrong" with it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have now positively determined that my LX is not a "piece of junk".

Today was the first day that both I and my brother could look at the car. He kept wanting to check out the oil pump. I kept saying that because the engine was not making noises and the oil was perfectly fine, that it was the pressure sending unit.

It was the sending unit. The good news too is that he is going to buy a car tomorrow and I get the LX back.

Hey Dan, thanks for all your insight. You are a true benefit to the membership here.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and glad that it wasn't a major issue. There's a lesson in here somewhere.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Before more people say things they shouldn't...... >>> CLICK!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.