TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to call an LX an SC if you got the ground effects bumpers for the outside then got the interior from an SC then put in an SC motor with supercharger. Would this be a change over and be a SC or would it still be an LX

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well you can call it whatever you want.
But, when I was thinking about this swap, I called up my insurance company to see how it would be classified. Basicly they go by the VIN, unless you want to insure the car as a hot rod (they called it somthing else, maybe special intrest?) in which case the insurance would be crazy $$$ and I would have to pay to have it apraised.

Jim

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
the difference between a Supercoupe and an LX at my insurance place is 12$ every 6 month.............. and your LX would still be an LX to them......

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wow I like your Insurance Co.!!! I don't even want to know what my SC is going to cost to insure. To young, to poor, and from NJ!!!!!

Jim

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't even get me started on New Jersey car insurance! :mad:

You can make your LX look like an SC right down to the fold down rear seats, but it will never really be an SC. A car can only aspire to be whatever it was when it left the assembly line. You couldn't (honestly) sell it as an SC, but you can have lots of fun with it, and tell people whatever you want. :D

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
heres an idea....

buy an sc and swap the ground effects with lx body panels. that way you will have an sc that looks like an lx. can we say sleeper?? :znanner: :bowdown:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Mike on that one, I plan on doin that if I get the dough for the SC!!1

Will

·
Registered
935 Posts
I did this back in the day...

I made my LX look like an SC (its my avatar). Came out nice but it's still slow! As for insurance in VA all t-birds are classified as sedans so the cost on them is the same, which is great. I have a ton of before and after pictures if anyones interested, I think all birds from 89-93 should of had the SC body fot it looks so great. Since I did I've had people change their opinions from a Grandma car to a sports car.

Final comment... when I drive it now after driving my SC I feel like the gas pedel is broken :)

-Tim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
935 Posts
You've got mail.

Just sent the pictures. I hope you like it.

Just if you're interested in pricing on this project it came to about 1000 dollars I think? Saved a lot because of the Earl Scheib paint job..(which is quiet nice for what I paid, I must add).

Let me know what you think.

-Tim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanx for the pics. It looks pretty good. One thing thatmight mess it up. i just got my car reapainted about a year ago. I saw that you changed your side moldings to go with bumpers. im worried i that if a change them that the new paint wont match up to the old paint. i dont know what to do about the side moldings it never occured to me. I have a really good painter to do my car and hes gonna try to match up the bumpers and groundeffects. well i dont know i might just have to paint the car again but that would be bad becuase it might mess up my one of a kind striped paint job. he gives me really good deals but he take a long time. thanx

Josh

·
Registered
935 Posts
Well that sucks...

Man that really blows dude. I had planned on painting my car and I figured I'd do the body work before I got it done. I looked like a ricer for like a week before, but it was all good.

I plan on painting my 91 SC but this will be after I put on a 92+ deck w/ the glowing reflectors, spoiler, and my custom fiberglass hood. Damn I love family, highly the ones who do work with fiberglass. :D .

Good luck with it I hope I helped you out.

If anyone eles wants so see the pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/budse26/bird/

-Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts