TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally ordered new rear-drive hub and wheel-bearing assemblies for our car to allow the fitment of SN95 wheels (5 X 4.5). At Summit Racing these are a pretty pricey item, about $200.00 each plus half shaft retainers at roughly $25.00 each IIRC.

I considered drilling my OEM hubs but for our application, I determined that would not be wise. We intend to go Land Speed Racing so we are fighting every possible vibration issue as best we can. Our big impediment was the price.

I found Full Tilt Boogie Racing while looking for another component and stumbled on the hubs. They are Mustang people and totally focus on Mustangs. I do know a good thing when it bites me.

I finally placed the order this morning, expecting a 4 to 6-week delay. This afternoon I got a tracking number and a note that my order shipped complete today.

The cost of each hub was under $100.00 each, the retainers are 25.00 each for the very high-quality OEM equivalents, and I got a pair for the front too for $10.00 each

When they come in on the 11th, I will take some pictures to try and share the quality level, whatever it turns out to be.

They were very helpful and very patient with me. So far, I am very pleased with the decision.

RD

Registered
I finally ordered new rear-drive hub and wheel-bearing assemblies for our car to allow the fitment of SN197 wheels (5 X 4.5). At Summit Racing these are a pretty pricey item, about $200.00 each plus half shaft retainers at roughly $25.00 each IIRC.

I considered drilling my OEM hubs but for our application, I determined that would not be wise. We intend to go Land Speed Racing so we are fighting every possible vibration issue as best we can. Our big impediment was the price.

I found Full Tilt Boogie Racing while looking for another component and stumbled on the hubs. They are Mustang people and totally focus on Mustangs. I do know a good thing when it bites me.

I finally placed the order this morning, expecting a 4 to 6-week delay. This afternoon I got a tracking number and a note that my order shipped complete today.

The cost of each hub was under $100.00 each, the retainers are 25.00 each for the very high-quality OEM equivalents, and I got a pair for the front too for $10.00 each

When they come in on the 11th, I will take some pictures to try and share the quality level, whatever iut turns out to be.

They were very helpful and very patient with me. So far, I am very pleased with the decision.

RD
I'm holding out on the hub swap option for dear life as I'm hard headed and will skin the internet search bar until I find hard to find items lol. Once my head starts throbbing I drop it lol. Even then I have some tricks up my sleeve to ensure I find at least replicas. I have my eye set on a set now. Just waiting to pull the buy trigger.. 馃懝馃懝 I still can't believe that cars from the 40's still have a wider option on aftermarket suspension and body parts than the mn-12 lol.... Even the damn model T.... Jebus.... Shame on Ford.. where is is father Ford and his child from Ford V Ferrari when you need them lol...

Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
Henry Ford II was Henry鈥檚 grandchild. Many old cars are popular, these are not, supply and demand. Plus realistically the performance aftermarket that exists for classics exists because the stock components are pretty archaic, the MN12 doesn鈥檛 exactly need a tubular Mustang II suspension when the stock suspension we have is better than it already.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it me or am I in good company when I get the feeling that Mustang guys are stamped out from the same stuff and seem to be everywhere. Like dog **** and salesmen, you can not take a step without bumping into them. I really do not "get it". Those cars all look alike to me, and the owners all seem like they belong to the same choir. They all seem to do exactly the same thing and they all do it with the same stubby little car that keeps chasing it's tail.
I get the mystique of the Shelby, and the new ones are wicked things but that is a store bought race car. They ride like crap, are terrible in the rain and nobody ever got laid in one. Why do they always seem to be pointing right at the poor camera guy too?
If I was going to spend that kind of money on a car, it would probably not be a Ford. I don't get what is fun about them and if I had that kind of money, I am kind of partial to the 5 series or a C class.
For me, the MN12 is the last every man's car that came with everything you need to build a hot rod, but without the hot rod part... that's up to you. Ford detuned the **** out of them, but they were affordable, attractive, comfortable and drive beautifully, way better street manners than cars twice the price.
I never have fit the mold, so I admit my quirkiness. But at least I am not exactly the same as every second guy on the block. I like that these cars are different. I like the way the are built. It's true there is no need to tube the front and tub the back to go fast, they are born fast, reliable, solid and manly with the six cylinder even. I can keep up with just about anything in mine on the roads I drive on with my little NPI motor.

Registered
馃 yeah those Shelby guys ..

Its the same when you hang out with the Camaro, Vette or Mopar guys .. If you do not own the ZL1, a C8 or Z07, or some kind of Hellcat .. Its just another commuter car. 馃槀

Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
I'll be interested to see if you find the quality to be as good as Rod does. If so, at that price I'll but new versus redrilling the stockers. Did they have studs already pressed in?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I retract any offensive remarks to Mustang enthusiasts. It was not meant to create any sort of argument, I was only stating what I think and yeah, I am a little weird. If I had gobs of money I would be a different person, and not doing what I am.

That said, you can keep 'em.
Come on up for a visit, I would love to show you around.
Afraid you will have to lead, follow, or you know.

I am back at it for the afternoon, the Ocelot gets new front sneakers next week.

Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
"You like an odd ball car, whats wrong with you!?"
This. I occasionally attended chicagoland Mustang club meets, or trade parts with them and the conversation is often a politely veiled version of that question. I think it was the guy I bought my #39 fuel injectors from (who had a modded terminator) but he asked me with a confused expression glancing at my Cougar with (then)Cobra wheels 鈥渟oooo, what, you guys are into sleepers, or something?鈥

SN95 owners get it more on average though, I think with all the power in Coyote 5.0s and their variants there鈥檚 this almost exotic car snobbery that has creeped into the Mustang crowd - 鈥淢ore than you can afford pal, MUSTANG鈥 馃槅

Registered
Is the SN-95 axle nut the same as ours?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The FTBR hubs arrived today, 2 days early.
I can find no obvious defects, they were well packaged.
Included is a detailed installation
instructions set.
I also got the premium retainers and a full set of boot clamps.

I am a happy camper. The total Invoice was less than $275.00

Registered
They say 99- 04 Cobra. The site has nice pictures but no descriptions on anything.

The Parts Guy
They are 28 spline. The '99-'04 Cobra units are 28 spline as well.

Again, FTBR has been producing quality parts for years now. They are a solid supplier.

The Parts Guy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts