TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All MN12 cars are 28 spline at the hub. The Cobra was also 28 spline at the hub

31 spline refers to the pinion gears (spiders) that receive the Axle.

So far, I have no reason to not recommend these to anyone. Excellent service, high quality components, reasonable price.

The company (James) was a real professional and very patient....I ask lots of questions.
I even got a sticker for the car's dedicated Chromebook.

Now I am waiting for my new front tires to arrive. I bought a pair of Pirellis in 255/40R17 to replace the "too tall" Rikens. I hope that gets me the profile I am looking for.

We intend to go to a 20 x10 rear and a 18 x 9 front, but due to cost I take baby steps.

Is the SN-95 axle nut the same as ours?
There are options, but dimensionally they are the same.
The less expensive option has nylon components.
The more expensive option is a replica of the OEM Cobra piece.

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
The front tires on this thing are 255/45R17's, and that's dropped 1.5". I agree that a 255/40R17 is going to be rather short.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They do like a little short to me too.

Well, another case of "I should have asked". Or "ready, fire, aim". One day I will get it all in the right order I hope.

The only upshot is I bought them used. 2) Pirellis P ZERO Rosso for $139.00 delivered.
Does sting a bit though, I should have asked for input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Where can a f'glass hood be found? Or is that a cowl attached to metal?
I want to get some ventilation at least, with louvers or another way. I don't think we require a cowl with the DOHC but I am ready to be corrected on that.

I know my hood has to weigh almost 100lbs and it tears the snot outta my bad shoulder. There has to be a better way to go.

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
Mine? It's steel. The height was necessary to clear the blower.

Depending on which stock hood you have, it's around 70 lbs. A 4.6L DOHC with the Gen 1 Mark VIII intake can be made to clear any of the stock MN12 hoods with a little work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Mine? It's steel. The height was necessary to clear the blower.

Depending on which stock hood you have, it's around 70 lbs. A 4.6L DOHC with the Gen 1 Mark VIII intake can be made to clear any of the stock MN12 hoods with a little work.
View attachment 42319
View attachment 42320
I recognize your car now that the stripes are more visible on my end. I had only ever seen the car from behind previously.
I wanted to tell you that the stripes are right. I wanted to do similar but assymetrical, like a can am I think.
From the back, that car is the best looking Cougar ever. Something is different about the front but I can't pick it out. Very nice, very attractive, outstanding fit and finish, all business and has an genuine personality expression of badassedness.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This. I occasionally attended chicagoland Mustang club meets, or trade parts with them and the conversation is often a politely veiled version of that question. I think it was the guy I bought my #39 fuel injectors from (who had a modded terminator) but he asked me with a confused expression glancing at my Cougar with (then)Cobra wheels “soooo, what, you guys are into sleepers, or something?”

SN95 owners get it more on average though, I think with all the power in Coyote 5.0s and their variants there’s this almost exotic car snobbery that has creeped into the Mustang crowd - “More than you can afford pal, MUSTANG” 😆
It's always been odd to me that Mustangs seem to be separated out in magazines and muscle car books. I mean, there are Ford muscle cars... and Mustangs. That makes no sense to me, they're pony cars, like Camaros and 'Cudas. I used to flip through magazines like Mustangs & Fast Fords hoping for some Thunderbird builds and articles. Nothing, really. And forget seeing the sister car Cougars in there. But then it was rare to seen anything besides Mustangs. Maybe a Falcon once in a while, after 5 consecutive Mustang features. Then perhaps a Torino or an old Cougar (Mustang sister car, though I think much cooler looking), then 3 more Mustangs. It's too bad, there are many cool Fords that are not Mustangs, dammit.

To me the profile of a Thunderbird (mine's a '95) always looked like a combination of a Dodge Challenger ('70-'71) and a Ford Torino ('70). In fact I have wondered more and more lately about how I could "convert" my Thunderbird to look like it could have been a modern Torino (seriously, our Thunderbirds look nothing like the original 2-seaters the way the more recent Thunderbirds did), like with the right hood scoop and tail light treatment (and possibly side stripes or blackout hood). That's what Ford should have done in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,044 Posts
It's always been odd to me that Mustangs seem to be separated out in magazines and muscle car books. I mean, there are Ford muscle cars... and Mustangs. That makes no sense to me, they're pony cars, like Camaros and 'Cudas. I used to flip through magazines like Mustangs & Fast Fords hoping for some Thunderbird builds and articles. Nothing, really. And forget seeing the sister car Cougars in there. But then it was rare to seen anything besides Mustangs. Maybe a Falcon once in a while, after 5 consecutive Mustang features. Then perhaps a Torino or an old Cougar (Mustang sister car, though I think much cooler looking), then 3 more Mustangs. It's too bad, there are many cool Fords that are not Mustangs, dammit.

To me the profile of a Thunderbird (mine's a '95) always looked like a combination of a Dodge Challenger ('70-'71) and a Ford Torino ('70). In fact I have wondered more and more lately about how I could "convert" my Thunderbird to look like it could have been a modern Torino (seriously, our Thunderbirds look nothing like the original 2-seaters the way the more recent Thunderbirds did), like with the right hood scoop and tail light treatment (and possibly side stripes or blackout hood). That's what Ford should have done in the first place.
Yeah that’s some weird Ford thing, GM and Mopar fans seem to embrace just about everything they made with a V8 or would fit one, but when it comes to Fords the Mustang gets absolute preferential treatment. Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford’s was the only one of the dozen “Mustang Magazines” that I remember featuring other cars, certainly in the late model spectrum, I used to have a subscription in my teens for that reason. They actually covered a few TCCoA and SCCoA cars and events occasionally in the 00s, last magazine I ever bought was the one where 1MTNCAT’s Cougar got a full two page spread.

I wonder if the Thunderbird name is negative baggage for MN12s, because they are so different than the iconic Tbirds of 55-57(or even 58-66), and those are what come to people’s minds with the name, not a midsized sports coupe. It seems like a brand that lost its way, even though the way the MN12 is is an appealing and good looking package in its own right. Sort of like the Mustang Mach E, now I don’t particularly like EVs and outright hate SUVs, but it may very well be a good vehicle for what it is to some people, but calling it a Mustang is a horrible horrible fit.

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
I recognize your car now that the stripes are more visible on my end. I had only ever seen the car from behind previously.
I wanted to tell you that the stripes are right. I wanted to do similar but assymetrical, like a can am I think.
From the back, that car is the best looking Cougar ever. Something is different about the front but I can't pick it out. Very nice, very attractive, outstanding fit and finish, all business and has an genuine personality expression of badassedness.
Thanks!

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
Bolt right on? Kind of...they press into the bearings that are pressed into the knuckles.

SN95 front hubs are a direct swap onto the MN12 spindles.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts