TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
So I have an early 1989 external balance flywheel, its not the same size as the 1990 Thunderbird SC clutch I have, that SC clutch is a 10.5, the 1989 external balance duracast flywheel is 11in.

Would the 1989 external balance flywheel work with my 1989 NA engine? Is the balance the same?

Would a 90s 3.8 Mustang clutch work with this flywheel?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
We used the 89 external balance flywheel on Gunn's 95 3.8 NA when he did the m5r2 swap with no vibration issues. Worked perfectly fine.

I pulled an 89 external balance flywheel off a 95 SC with a major vibration, re-balanced to 0 solved that problem - they were still using the early 89 flywheel on the mid 90's Mustangs so you could get them from the dealership a few years back, IDK if they are still available .. and not long ago I pulled one off a 95 Mustang.

Pressure plate is matched to the clutch; ie. the mid 89-95 SC use the exact same flywheel, but the 89-93 had a smaller clutch / pressure plate and the 94/95 have the larger clutch / pressure plate, only difference in the flywheel itself was the alignment dowels used for the pressure plate on the 94/95.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
We used the 89 external balance flywheel on Gunn's 95 3.8 NA when he did the m5r2 swap with no vibration issues. Worked perfectly fine.

I pulled an 89 external balance flywheel off a 95 SC with a major vibration, re-balanced to 0 solved that problem - they were still using the early 89 flywheel on the mid 90's Mustangs so you could get them from the dealership a few years back, IDK if they are still available .. and not long ago I pulled one off a 95 Mustang.

Pressure plate is matched to the clutch; ie. the mid 89-95 SC use the exact same flywheel, but the 89-93 had a smaller clutch / pressure plate and the 94/95 have the larger clutch / pressure plate, only difference in the flywheel itself was the alignment dowels used for the pressure plate on the 94/95.
Awesome, thanks Dan, that's exactly what I needed to know. My clutch kit from a 1990 SC is too small for that early 1989 flywheel. What I'm thinking is that the flywheel and clutch on that 89 were 10.5" units from another application, and I need a larger 11" clutch kit.

Thanks so much for your help, I've been trying to make sense of this for a few days now since I've had both transmissions out on my floor. I still need a clutch line and a clutch kit, and I will be ready to install everything.

I have a couple of options on the clutch line, I found a new one made by Centric parts, the same company that makes Stop-Tech brake stuff, or I can have a local hydraulic line shop make me a steel one. The new line is like $58, no idea what a custom one would be. Which route should I go?

As far as the clutch kit, I really want an OE style clutch but I see a ton of different kits out there. Im sure you probably have more experience with various kits than I do. Is there any particular kit you recommend?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The 89-93 SC came with 11" clutch stock .. the 94/95 had the 11.5" clutch setup. Most of the aftermarket setups I have seen are 11" though. I have installed a few different types, I really liked the Centerforce Dual friction clutch for streetability and light duty racing.

Clutch line, IDK .. not much difference as long as they fit up to the master and slave cylinder you're OK.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts