·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I've seen that, it just doesn't really explain why... is it a compression thing or what? lol.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
to quote the sticky, "The long and short of it is, the Super Coupe's 3.8L engine is a lot different from every standpoint, including the head design, block construction, and rotating assembly durability. Not to mention, the N/A 3.8 has higher compression than the SC."
Basically your NA engine can not handle it and would blow up/

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
Forged internals, lower compression, different design in the block and heads. I've read some running up to ~8lbs on the stock N/A engine with an M90, but the consensus is "just don't do it". Just transplant the SC engine into the car if you're bent on it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Forged internals, lower compression, different design in the block and heads. I've read some running up to ~8lbs on the stock N/A engine with an M90, but the consensus is "just don't do it". Just transplant the SC engine into the car if you're bent on it.
Make it a 5 speed while you're at it. Better yet, just buy a super coupe

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm not too set on doing it... I'll just split port it.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Forged Rods and Crank are the big things.

While yes the block is different--I--feel a N/A block can be used. Also detention is always happening in the SC and unless you swap the SC EEC you have no provision for a knock sensor, so either need to have a custom tune or low boost.

If you want a IC you either need a SC radiator or front mount IC.

If you buy that kit you will still need rods, crank shaft pulley, harmonic balancer and I would suggest pistons. SCs can be had for less.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
S/C top end on a N/A 3.8 bottom end is like a really hot chick with STD's, everyone wants to tap that, but are afraid of the consequences.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S/C top end on a N/A 3.8 bottom end is like a really hot chick with STD's, everyone wants to tap that, but are afraid of the consequences.
LMAO!!!!

So should I just save my money and find a v8 bird/sc?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
LMAO!!!!

If it were me, I would...unless you'd like to swap in the S/C set up. That's entirely up to you though.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
LMAO!!!!

Definitely.

I have a 94 LX with the 3.8 NA and although I plan on upgrading the motor in it someday, that doesn't do much for me in the meantime. If you haven't driven a SC go do it, it will make up your mind for you. You can find a SC relatively cheap if you keep your eyes open for one. Took me 3 years to find one I could afford that was in decent shape.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I know I'm going against the grain here but I say do it, BUT save for a build short block while you enjoy it. Can't be any worse then the 4.6 PI head blower combos, which used to be taboo. It's your car do what you want with it. Build the top end, run it till it blows then build the bottom end to withstand anything you can throw at it. Or if your too thwarted off by the comments of others then do the easy way out and go with the flow, sell it and buy an SC. Your the only one who can decide if this build is worth the risk for you. You'll need more then just what they have in that craigslist add though, IIRC you'll need the heads also.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If you put a SC top end on a N/A bottom & rotating assembly it will blow and if does like my SC did you will be out a block too--and that was with a complete SC motor.

I tried to dissuade a Mustang owner from doing this exact thing and he got about 1000miles before it grenaded.

If you put a M90 on you need a forged rotating assembly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts