TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In january I will begin my courses for airframe and powerplant. They give you an option to either buy a MAC tools kit or SNAP ON kit. I have only used craftsman and have no experience with these brands. Which one do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Depends on the tool I have some snap on and some Mac

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
You might as well ask Coke or Pepsi? Nikon or Canon? They're both good.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I personally prefer Snap-on, but I have some things from MAC also.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well to put it plainly, snap on is USA made high end quality tools but they are expensive and some of there tools are made in Spain. Mac tools are made by Stanley. Mac is also USA made, also some Chinese made.. You can get the most of the same tools as snap on for half the price. Most of there air tools or pneumatic tools are all made by ingersall rand... Snap on makes there own impacts and air ratchets I believe but everything else is just ingersall. Mac tools is all ingersall rand I do believe one or two of there air rachets are Mac made... Diag tools snap on is snap on they use there own programs I think they may have teamed up with with another not sure. Mac tools uses the OTC platform. I'm pretty sure they teamed up with launch. Tool boxes are tool boxes I prefer snap on for there quality and structure. Mac tools is built pretty much the same. There are videos on YouTube from snap on that compare boxes. All in all... Get what you can afford.... Neither are bad I own snap on, matco, cornwell and mac tools. All have a purpose all are used everyday.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
+1 for Snap On

Is this a poll?

·
Registered
789 Posts
The school wont let you use your craftsman stuff???

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I'm not tool truck brand loyal. I literally have a little bit of everything from various companies Matco mostly, but also Cornwell, Snap-On, Craftsman, Proto, SK, Husky, Pittsburg, Stanley, Mac, Gearwrench, Etc... every tool has a purpose and cheap "garbage" tools are nice for customizing for P.I.T.A. jobs.

·
Registered
789 Posts
IMHO The biggest advantage to MAC or SnapOn is that the truck drives to you. Craftsman, Husky and Kobalt all come with lifetime warranty and I've never had any problems. Pittsburgh is cheaper with lifetime warranty but you will break those..

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
U need a new school hate to break it to you but craftsman stuff is pretty good especially the professional grade, also snap on silver sockets are the worse crap I've used they don't hold up to air tools period they always get to big they don't hold there size as well as craftsman, and this seems to be a problem with everyone I talk to, know there 1/4 inch swivels the silver ones rock for getting in tight places, I use craftsman tools everyday in my business, they make me money like crazy I use them everyday on impacts and very rarely fail, there ratchets suck unless professional grade but snap on ratchets are the best, Mac has the strongest impacts period, and the must evened out weight in your hand but I have 3 different 3/8 air impacts 2 snap on and one Mac and the 3/8 Mac will do 1/2 inch work

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
My $00.02.
The only advantage that Mac, Snap ON, Matco etc. have is
you don't have to run to the store to get a replacement.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My $00.02.
The only advantage that Mac, Snap ON, Matco etc. have is
you don't have to run to the store to get a replacement.
Advantage?? I have a broken snap on ratchet here .. need to find one of thoe stupid trucks to get a replacement.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Any time I worked near a pro mechanic shop the tool trucks were there weekly.
Fire Dept shop.
Public Works shop.
Dade county central Maint. shop.
Gulestream Garage.
Exxon gas station.Shell gas station.
Sears auto center, they had a craftsman truck.

Possibly give them a call.
The snap on guy would probally like the Ice Cream Man.

If you let him cool you one time, you"ll be a regular stop.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
They don't come to the garage I work at either, but I know where Snap-On van hangs out in Cross City -- 25 miles away ;)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I use mostly Craftsman tools, but I will occasionally splurge on a Snap-On tool. Sometimes Snap-On has a "sale" and sometimes you can get a good deal on eBay.

Check out Snap-On "Comfort Grip" ratchets. They are VERY nice. Your hands will thank you!

Comfort Grip Ratchet - Standard Length - 3/8" drive
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=646279&group_ID=682403&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Comfort Grip Ratchet - LONG - 3/8" drive
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=646282&PartNo=FHLF936&group_id=682403&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

1 - 18 of 18 Posts