TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Well, the short answer is yes, they should, however, at the cost of rotors (roughly $20 a piece) I usually just replace them since getting them machined usually costs about $15 a piece.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I choose to use Bendix rotors on my car, which are around $50 each at advance auto. I'll pay the money to get them turned a couple times. Even when using $20 rotors, if you only turn two of them one time (at $15 dollars each) you've saved half the price of one rotor. Hey, a buck is a buck.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Well, the rotors I took off my car tonight were junk anyways (pad worn through and scraping rotor), so I had to put at least one new rotor anyways. I think I got like 30-40K off the last set of rotors and pads with them warping in the last 5K or so miles. That's really not too bad at all, especially considering some of the stories you can find on here about rotors warping every 5K miles. In my experience, the cheap rotors have proven to work just as good as other people's expensive ones (I'm talking durabilty, not comparing Auto Value rotors to 13" Brembos). NOTE: I have PBR calipers on my car. I have noticed that they have improved braking a great deal, and the rotors also seem less likely to warp. They are both due to the increased surface area of the PBR style brake pads.

Another reason I don't save the $10 to turn them: The downtime and hassle to take them off the car and take them to the brake shop is not worth it to me. A buck saved is a buck saved, but you have to remember that time is money. Taking them to a break shop would have cost me an extra hour or more, and I wouldn't have been able to do them all in one shot at 10pm like I did tonight. I did them when I had time in my schedule as I don't have a second car to drive while one is down.

Just stating my reasoning...

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Rotors on these cars are not worth machining, just go get new ones. If you machine them they will only fail faster.
Alan

·
8,239 Posts
also get the oem motorcraft rotors, the cheap ones warp just looking at them wrong.

The brake system in these cars sucks bad, just put gt two piston calipers on it with new motorcraft rotors and call it done.

If you have the big wheels then you can go to a 13'' setup.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rob (94TchikinV8),
I think your reasoning is sound for your situation. However, I think my reasoning has merit as well. I think you will agree. Everyone's situation is different. 'nuff said on that.

Thanks for the info on the pbr calipers. I am installing a set on my 'bird this weekend.

In response to dirtyd0g and JustinH:

The only rotors I've managed to warp on my 'bird were the original motorcraft rotors. Since switching to bendix, I've been able to turn each rotor 3 times and have yet to warp one. My 'bird has 160,000+ miles on it. Just my experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
GO get the 13" Cobra Rotors and Calipers!!!!

Whiplash from hitting the pedal if way FUN!!! ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
???? okay... I'm guessing that's a yes since I have a 95, I just picked up a new set of rotors tonight, and I'll drop by the junkyard and pick up some GT calipers and pads tomorrow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great responses. I am actually getting the front pads replaced on my wife's Impreza at a shop and I wasn't sure if it was necessary to machine them so I guess I will let them as it isn't too much anyways.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just do a search around here for PBR calipers. You use stock Tbird brake rotors, PBR calipers and brackets, Tbird bracket mounting bolts, and The mustang banjo bolts. You will need to slightly modify either the caliper or banjo fitting on the passenger side. Other than that, it's a bolt-on swap; as long as you use the correct bolts like I stated above. If you want me to go into greater detail I can, but I know you will find out everything you need to know about the swap by doing a search. If you search google too, you will come across a web site that has details on it as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts