TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the tech article on cleaning the MAF sensor. Could I get away with using isopropyl alcohol rather than electric parts cleaner? I don't think alcohol would leave any residue.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I would only use a spray cleaner first.

If using the alcohol involves using a q-tip or paper towel, then only do that if the spray cleaner doesn't clean it enough.

Physically touching the maf sensor can be harmful to it.

·
8,239 Posts
I would buy some electrical contact cleaner.

It works better than windex or stuff that we have used in the past.

With the contact cleaner, it basically melts away the film without having to actually touch the wire.

Spend the 5 bucks or whatever on a can of contact cleaner.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
JustinH said:
It works better than windex or stuff that we have used in the past.
I'm shocked that didn't work better!? /sarcasm

Windex??? You may as well of tried cleaning it with the beer you must of been drinking when you came up with the windex idea... :tongue:

·
8,239 Posts
Southpaw said:
I'm shocked that didn't work better!? /sarcasm

Windex??? You may as well of tried cleaning it with the beer you must of been drinking when you came up with the windex idea... :tongue:
The first maf windex cleaning session was at the Albany, NY meet, back in 2000 I want to say.

Alot has changed since then.

I was 17-18 years old at the time, we did alot of stupid ****.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yea we all have, I just got a laugh out of it. ;)

I think the alcohol will clean it just fine. The problem is cleaning the MAF with it. The parts cleaners are an aerosol spray can and you can pressure wash the MAF element in the stuff whereas alcohol all you can do is drip it on or physically apply it with something like a q-tip. I'd find something way better then a q-tip however as they ALWAYS shed fibers and snag on delicate stuff everytime i've tried to clean something with one bathed in alcohol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts