TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 94 cougar on the road about 2 weeks ago. Since then the check engine light had been on. I got code P0102 telling me that my MAF was bad. SO I cleaned it and cleared the code and it came back. So I did lots of searching and came up with I needed to replace the MAF. I talked to 2 high end local mechanics. They both told me to switch out the Throttle posistion sensor before I bought the MAF. I did and now the Check engine light is off and hasn't come back on. Plus now the car wants to run. Before I had hesitation when I was taking off. Not any more. The car wants to rip out there and GO. So I love it. My question is this. If it told me MAF reading low why did it end up being the TPS that fixed it? Maybe it was reading to low for the signal it was getting from the TPS? Any how it is fixed and I love it. Just a heads up to all the others that might be facing this problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Maybe it was reading to low for the signal it was getting from the TPS?
could very well be.....the max voltage out of a TPS sensor is 5V....if it shorted out and was constantly showing near 5V (without the throttle blade actually being open), then the computer would think you are at WOT, yet the airflow coming thru the MAF would not indicate this, nor would the EEC think something is wrong with the TPS since it would be at 5V or less, which is within the acceptable range of operation.......i'm not saying this actually happened, just throwing it out there

·
one in a million
146 Posts
My MAF quit jest recently on my 95 v8 Cougar. P0102

I Try'ed cleaning it but it was dead so I bought one from the junk yard and that fixed the problem. My Cat runs smooth again... Oh and MY alternator died the next day so I had to make another visit to the junk yard.. argh that put me down 80 bucks...

And Autozone or any other parts place around my area don't do OBD2 readings SO I ended up buying me a reader for 69 bucks jest to find out it was my MAF....

between parts and gas this car is costing me $$$ I hope Nothing else go's bad anytime soon....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts