TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was experiencing some problems with my car it would cut out around 3k rpms
i unplugged my MAF and the car would stop cutting out so i went to a junkyard and found a maf off of a 3.8 lx tbird which has the same part number maf as the 4.6
now the car is throwing a check engine light and the codes coming up maf now when it didnt previous
the tach drops to around 300 rpms upon first acceleration then drives just fine after that

is the 3.8 maf sensor calibrated for higher #injectors causing my car to bog down from to much gas? it smells like shes running a bit rich

or does this sound like another problem

·
Registered
563 Posts
most likely the wrong MAF. Clean your old MAF sensor and put it back in.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I agree with 96_LX, that MAF isnt calibrated properly for that car. Either clean ur old one, or buy a new one for your year and engine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah i can tell you for sure the MAF is different between the 3.8 and 4.6. I got two in my hands to prove it. Anyways get the correct one and more than likely that will solve your problem.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i figured but according to all data the part numbers were the same
my old maf is shot i cleaned it with no help time to go find a new one
will a 94-97 4.6 maf work?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
the 96-97 maf i believe is different than the 94-95 MAF.

·
5,650 Posts
MN1293-232 said:
yeah i can tell you for sure the MAF is different between the 3.8 and 4.6. I got two in my hands to prove it. Anyways get the correct one and more than likely that will solve your problem.
wilson502 said:
I agree with 96_LX, that MAF isnt calibrated properly for that car. Either clean ur old one, or buy a new one for your year and engine.
Both of you are incorrect. The MAF sensors in these cars aren't calibrated for the particular engines. 94-95 3.8 (N/A) and 4.6 use the same MAF but use different size injectors. The same is also true of 96-97 3.8 and 4.6 cars. The MAF delivers the same transfer function, but the computer knows based on whether or not it is a 3.8 or 4.6 computer how to interpret that data. There is no difference whatsoever between the sensors for a 3.8 and 4.6, with the exception being the 3.8 SC.

rednsilver94sc, you can use any MAF from a 94-95 bird as long as it isn't an SC.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with the mass air connected or unplugged the car still stumbles upon take off and the codes is a mass air code

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Has the EEC been reset since the "new" MAF has been installed? This sometimes is required (stupid computers don't do what we want them to :D). Unplug the battery and turn on the headlights (with the battery unplugged) for about 5 minutes to reset the EEC.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
put a 95-95 4.6 MAF on the car. Dont make this any harder than it should be.
Thats what i was tryin to get at.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the car has been reset
but
before when the mass air was bad the car would cut out but never threw a light it wasnt until the new mass air was put on that its throwing the light with this new stumble but it is not cutting out anymore
still stumbles plugged or unplugged

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You have to use the correct MAF. An 3.8 MAF is not in anyway the same as the 4.6. They may have the same part number because they use the same housing but that is it. You have to use a 4.6 MAF.

master486 said:
Both of you are incorrect. The MAF sensors in these cars aren't calibrated for the particular engines. 94-95 3.8 (N/A) and 4.6 use the same MAF but use different size injectors. The same is also true of 96-97 3.8 and 4.6 cars. The MAF delivers the same transfer function, but the computer knows based on whether or not it is a 3.8 or 4.6 computer how to interpret that data. There is no difference whatsoever between the sensors for a 3.8 and 4.6, with the exception being the 3.8 SC.

rednsilver94sc, you can use any MAF from a 94-95 bird as long as it isn't an SC.
You are incorrect master486. Their transfer functions are totally different and the reason why he is getting a check engine light. That MAF will never work without the EEC reprogrammed with the 3.8 Meter's transfer function. rednsilver read the codes and stop guessing.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
So whould that explain why bank 1 and bank 2 are lean on my car???I swaped a 3.8 MAF in my car because it was beyond cleaning.Ever since ive had a P0174 and P0171.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it still stumbles disconnected
it should go to default mode like it did when i unplugged the 4.6l one when it was cutting out its not doing that it still fumbles

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
95xbird said:
So whould that explain why bank 1 and bank 2 are lean on my car???I swaped a 3.8 MAF in my car because it was beyond cleaning.Ever since ive had a P0174 and P0171.
mines not running lean its running rich

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
95xbird, yes it is VERY possible that is why you're running lean on both banks

rendsilver94sc, get a stock 94/95 4.6 MAF and be done with it

guys listen to lonnie, obucina, and all others when they tell you that using a non-stock MAF WILL require reprogramming of the computer.....keep on being hardheaded like this, and people will be hesistant to help you in the future...that would be a shame because we all want as many mn12s as possible out on the streets

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
master486 said:

Now thats just some wrong info right there. DO NOT listen to this information people. Anyone with any knowledge on these cars at all knows that these MAF's are not the same and are not at all interchangable.

Darrin

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've done some investigating since this has become a main email and PM topic for me. There are 3 MAFs that were used for the 94/95s from the factory, 3.8 used the F4SZ while the 4.6 used the F4SF and the one for a SC. They have totally different transfer function from each other, I have these at my access for those non believers. Ford now only lists 2 MAFs for these vehicles, the F4SZ and the one for a SC. No one can explain why when I talked to anyone at Ford. All they say is they now use the same one for both the 3.8 NA and the 4.6. And, if you look through any new parts interchange you will see both listed for both engines. So I'm going to assume that Ford has decided these were close enough to work in either engine and since the transfer function is in the EEC it would be safe. I guess they figured these anemic 4.6s couldn’t out flow the 3.8… This is more than likely a very rare occasion these parts actually will work so I wouldn't be going around trying other MAFs just to because this situation did work. You will more than likely do damage than good.

This doesn't solve the above problems but it is new info that could help someone. Only way to really know what is going on is to data log the vehicle during the time you having the problem and then troubleshoot the data.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts