TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, about three months ago I cleaned my MAF sensor, since I noticed the car was pinging. Before it was cleaned, it had been installed in the car as a remanufactured unit approximately one year prior. IE, completely crudded up MAF in about a year. Yesterday I heard a slight knock from the engine so I figured I'd check it today. Sure enough, the elements were dirty again. I replaced my air filter about two months ago (a month after I cleaned it) with a FRAM (non oiled). As far as I can tell all the hose clamps are tight. What gives? Why the heck is this thing getting so dirty so quick?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Could be somewhat many things? How are your driving conditions? Dusty climate, windy climate, ect..

Like Winston said, check your PCV valve too see if it's stuck.. I typically clean my MAF every 5-6 months, or every other oil change really. For the MAF.

Make sure there are no air gaps anywhere around the filter. I don't know if you are still running the air box or not, but you mention a FRAM filter, so i'm guessing that you are.

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the engine and stuff is all stock. Recently I checked the PCV (shook it and it rattled) so I'm not sure if that could be contributing or not, but I suppose I should replace it anyhow since I don't think it ever has been. As far as I know, there aren't any leaks... I'm just stumped.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah, the engine and stuff is all stock. Recently I checked the PCV (shook it and it rattled) so I'm not sure if that could be contributing or not, but I suppose I should replace it anyhow since I don't think it ever has been. As far as I know, there aren't any leaks... I'm just stumped.
I'm somewhat stumped. I'm waiting for more people to show their idea's of what it could be. Did you clean all of the housing for the MAF. I actually unscrewed the backing plate, and cleaned it all out. Probably over-done it there, but when I first got the car, I cleaned it at about 115k, I just wanted to clean everything so I could see if anything was wrong with the new car. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, no... I haven't cleaned the housings and such at this point. Perhaps I'll do that shortly to see if it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts