TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks,

I've been busy with my car lately, and I've set aside some money to try and have some fun with it. Now a little bird whispered in my ear that having a car with a MAP doesn't exactly lend itself to much tuning, or having fun power adders such as a turbo (yes I know the problems with the plumbing, but dangit, I wanna be unique-ish :p)

Is this true? And if it is, is it possible to convert my MAP to a MAF? And if it is possible, what would I need? The ECU from a 3.8 V6 MAF 'bird and the MAF sensor itself?

I know, lotsa questions that have probably been asked before, but I couldn't coerce the search into showing me those threads :(

Anyone?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you'll need the MAF housing, sensor, wiring, and an EEC from a 91-93 3.8 NA MN12, along with the intake tube.

MAP's are pretty much set on their tuning, they do have some adjustability but not enough for any modification to the engine, exhaust, etc. So swapping to a MAF setup will help you out in the future for sure.

-Thomas

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thomas :D

Already found 2 donor cars, one with an intact MAF & housing, one with an intact ECU. Still need to find one with the intake tube on it, but the pick-a-part here is a bit low on their 'bird bits and pieces.

Oughta work. Hope that 91-93 ECU connects straight up though :D

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
A power adder is a turbo, supercharger or nitrous. I assume you are instead talking about exhaust/intake mods?

One way to tune that in would be to install a wideband 02 kit to monitor A/F ratios. Then add a larger fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator, to turn up the fuel pressure a little to maintain a safe A/F ratio. Just one way to do it.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
One way to tune that in would be to install a wideband 02 kit to monitor A/F ratios. Then add a larger fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator, to turn up the fuel pressure a little to maintain a safe A/F ratio. Just one way to do it.

Al
Thanks for the answer. I meant ported cylinder heads with bigger valves, bigger cam and better intake manifold with better air filter.

My English isn't so good so sorry for that.

But It should go fine with new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and wideband lambda kit, for those mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts