TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a mod to the stock maf, basically port it out and remove some metal heres the link http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/maf/maf.htm
anyone do this? I have a pile of maf cores sitting around seeins how I have 3 4.6 birds. And I have little money to work with so does this do anything for a stock 4.6 bird? Its a 95 if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
you oughta check the tech articles... tehy advise against it.. i would just get a gt maf and a tune.. be done with it.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sniper77 did that and told me there was little to no difference in the way the car ran.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah mn12performance is not really the place for 8cyl birds, i mean unless u need IRS bushings:tongue: . that website doesnt sell stuff anymore it looks like. Think ford will give me anything for the cores? I have no clue what I paid.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeah i did it.........really didn't change anything. then i bought a new bird and put it in with a k&n cone filter and my check engine light has been on. the code says its the egr something-or-other. maybe i'll try and just swap out that part and see if it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
419 Posts
i did it years ago....never had any problem with it. not sure it gave me any measurable improvements to be honest.

we've documented better ways to do this now....get a GT or LMAF and a proper tune.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here's another two cents...
I did it quite some time back, and the car would not stop throwing codes.
I mean, they would come all the time. The car was trying to adjust the A/F mixture to compensate for the wierd readings coming off the MAF.

There was no measureable gain either....

Peter M

·
Administrator
14,402 Posts
Sniper77 did that and told me there was little to no difference in the way the car ran.
I have done this (MAF) mod on my car. It's not throwing codes and there was little to no noticeable improvement in performance.

FYI, The home made ram air and K&N filter swap is cheap, easy, and good for about 3 to 5 HP. I did notice an improvement after making this mod. See my sig for the link.

·
Administrator
14,402 Posts
yeah i did it.........really didn't change anything. then i bought a new bird and put it in with a k&n cone filter and my check engine light has been on. the code says its the egr something-or-other. maybe i'll try and just swap out that part and see if it goes back to normal.
That's an EGR issue. Probably carbon build up in the ports or the DPFE sensor. I don't believe that's associated with the MAF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.