TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed a little probelm from my 97, after i got back from pittsburgh. About mid throttle, it hesitates, but not all the time. I do have CEL on, but its for the rear oxygen sensors. Idling or 3/4 throttle it goes away. The MAF and coil packs are original on it.

·
5,650 Posts
I'd say try cleaning the MAF first and if that doesn't work, it could be your 02 sensors. The MAF could easily cause your hesitation problem.

Is the code for catalyst efficiency below threshold? If yes it might just need a good tune up. How old are the front and rear 02's? If they've got more than 75k you might want to replace the fronts in conjuction with cleaning the MAF and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, the rear 02's might need to be changed. I doubt your coil packs are to blame at all.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I cleaned the MAF. Literally 2 Q-tips of blackness. I used CRC QD Electcic contact cleaner, or something like that. Put it back on, MAN it runs like a scolded dog, or should I say cat:tongue: My CEL is still on, but im going to delete it next time Im at work.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its still doing it, sorta. The A/F ratio gauge doesnt bounce around like crazy anymore when its not doing it, but when its going to do it, in bounces around like crazy.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
unless its a wideband A/F ratio gauge, i wouldnt use it to diagnose any problems.....did you reset the computer after cleaning the MAF?......a dirty maf, as we know you did have, will cause the adaptive learning strategy in the EEC to learn fuel-corrections that will stay in the KAM (keep alive memory) and will be still be utilized in open-loop long after a dirty maf is cleaned, even though now they would not necessarily be needed......point is, reset your EEC.....pull out the EEC fuse and crank it a few times with it out....then put it back in and start your car and let it idle for 5 min, then take it out for a spin

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wheres the ECC fuse? Could I get the same effect if I just delete it with my actron OBDII scanner?

·
5,650 Posts
EEC fuse is in the power distribution box in the engine compartment, #15. But no, clearing the codes won't reset the computer's adaptive learning strategy as guitar maestro mentioned. You've got to start from a clean slate. Pull the fuse, wait a minute or two, pop it in and go. Your car might not feel all there for several miles, but it should all go away.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Code For My Bank 1 Number 2 02 Sensor Has Been Going On And Off For About 3 Weeks, But I Just Had My Maf Cleaned. Does It Sound Like I Have The Same Problem? I Havent Noticed The Car Running Bad But I Have Noticed That I Cant Get Over 24 Mpg With A V8..please Help

·
5,650 Posts
Cavy said:
The Code For My Bank 1 Number 2 02 Sensor Has Been Going On And Off For About 3 Weeks, But I Just Had My Maf Cleaned. Does It Sound Like I Have The Same Problem? I Havent Noticed The Car Running Bad But I Have Noticed That I Cant Get Over 24 Mpg With A V8..please Help
If it's referencing Bank 1 Sensor 2, then that would be the catalyst efficiency monitoring sensor and it won't affect the way your car runs. Just curious, what was the code?

You not getting above 24 MPG is dependent on many things. Is the car well maintained (i.e. plugs, wires, low-mileage oxygen sensors, fuel filter, etc.)? Are the tires good (properly inflated, aligned)? Also, how's your right foot? :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
i usually don't step on it too much and i run interstates around 78mph. The car has 75k miles, new tires, new plugs, new fuel filter, new tranny fluid, new wires, and my tires are properly inflated. i'm not sure of what the code was exactly....you know how specific those autozone guys are

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the fuse, cranked it, and the CEL went away. I was driving down the interstate, around 70 mph, and it came back on:( . Whenever I start my new job and get alot of extra cash, Ill replace all the sensors.

Oh, those auto zone guys are working with equipment that isnt too accurate. If you want an accurate reading, pay 30 bucks and go to a dealer or shop.:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
i work at a dealership...but i unlike a lot of people am very tight with the little money that i have

·
5,650 Posts
Cavy said:
i usually don't step on it too much and i run interstates around 78mph. The car has 75k miles, new tires, new plugs, new fuel filter, new tranny fluid, new wires, and my tires are properly inflated. i'm not sure of what the code was exactly....you know how specific those autozone guys are
Well, your MAF and oxygen sensors play a huge role in your gas mileage. How many miles are on the oxygen sensors?

·
5,650 Posts
Gcline said:
I pulled the fuse, cranked it, and the CEL went away. I was driving down the interstate, around 70 mph, and it came back on:( . Whenever I start my new job and get alot of extra cash, Ill replace all the sensors.
Well, since you said you cleaned it and it made a difference and then the problems started again, it might be that the MAF needs replacement. I'd start with replacing that and see if it goes away. Then the only other likely thing would be the 02's, that is if the rest of the engine is OK. Are the plugs, wires, and fuel filter all in good shape?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
plugs are new from what ive heard, wires are original (200K+), and ill probably end up changing the fuel filter this weekend. When I took the MAF off, all the connections were fine, and the filaments were still intact and not burned out. They were just dirty. Ill run the computer check tomorrow and post up the exact code and what its saying.

After i cleared the computer, its not hesitating anymore, just that annoying CEL again.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I lied, it is starting to hesitate again =(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts