TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 bird with 4.6L V8. For about the last 6 months I have been having problems. When driving down the highway at 70 the car would begin to sputter and jerk. The revs would jump up and down and the check engine light would flash on and off. As soon as I pulled over it would die. Turn the car off, wait 10 seconds, start right back up again. Check engine light goes off. It would do this whenever. Twice in one day. Then not for 2 weeks. Once again. Then not for 2 months, and so on. Then in the last 2 days it has done it about a dozen times. Not only on the highway but at 35, slowing down at a light and while sitting still. Also, about half the time it will not start right back up. When it does it sputters, revs, bogs down and sends a lot of black smoke out the tail end. Other times, it will start fine and run good for 5-40 miles. Then it will do it again. The check engine light just came on and stayed on yesterday. I pulled a code p0102 (MAF or VAF low circuit input). I just cleaned the MAF sensor about a month ago with Electronic parts cleaner. I would think if the sensor was dirty it would run bad all the time, but I'm not an expert. Could the sensor be getting wore out or could it be something else (computer maybe?). Any help will be appreciated.

matt

·
Registered
489 Posts
if needed i have a good one from a 95

·
Registered
724 Posts
One thing to notice is if it does this right after you start it up in the morning and start driving. If it's somehting like the MAF, you should be able to drive it fine till the engine gets to operating temp. Then the problems will start, also If you just go to WOT it should run ok also. That's if it's the MAF. If it runs poorley under those conditions it might be something else that is related. But seeing as how you go that code, just to be sure, you can clean it again, and while your cleaning it unplug the battery so that it forgets all that bad stuff it learned. If you wondering why I think it should run ok when cold and and WOT it's becasue the car is running in open loop at those times.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never noticed that. The car does only do it after it is at temp. But not every time. What would cause it to only do it occasionally. Would it be a waste to replace the MAF sensor, or does it sound like that might be it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm going to hazard a big fat guess - if you can't find a source
for your problem - replace your EEC.

You can get em here for about $50.00:

http://www.car-part.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts