TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to the conclusion that my MAF is BAD. Car runs like crap right now, when trying to accelerate it often "stalls" or "sputters". I unplugged it and the car ran great. So here is my situation. I don't have the money to buy a chip right now and I would just have to get it reburned soon anyway. Also, I want to invest in a new MAF (an upgrade between 80 and 90 mm, something like that).

Anyway, for now, would it be best to stick with the maf I have and leave it plugged in, unplug it and run it with no MAF (I mean, it runs well like that....), or upgrade my MAF and run it without a chip until I can afford the chip?

OR any other suggestions would be appreciated. I guess it's an option to just replace it or even clean it, but I'd hate to waste $ on something that will be replaced soon enough.

~Matt

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like MadRussian said, go to a junk yard and get a used sensor and housing for like $10. First I'd clean the elements for the sensor. Go to your parts store and get a torx bit number T-20 and it has to be the security bit, too, or it won't fit. The security bit has a little hole at the tip of the bit. Anyways, when you take the sensor off of the MAF meter housing use a cotton Q-tip and gently rub the crud off of the little wires. Be careful not to bend or break them cause then you'd have to get another one. After you have cleaned it, put it back together and make sure the little rubber O-ring is on the meter, also. Be careful not to hit the housing with the meter wires.

One more thing about MAF sensors. Are you going to supercharge your car?? If not, then why do you need an 80-90mm MAF from a Lightning?? Those meters are calibrated for supercharged engines. Yes they will work with a chip burn but it would be more efficient to get a MAF for an '02 Mustang GT since its for a N/A engine. The '02 MAF works great with the proper chip burn. They seem to work better and I've heard people say they are getting more power with the '02 MAF than the L-MAF w/o a supercharger. The 02 MAF is more sensitive to air flow than your stock one and makes a great upgrade to get.

Clay

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you cant find one I have one Ill sell you for 20 shipped.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You can't use a different MAF without a chip, and if the MAF claims not to need a chip, then it's junk.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had one I'd send ya for like $10 and s/h but I left it laying under the hood at the edge of the fender and shut the hood and it destroyed the sensing wires. I was swaping one from my 5.0 to see if it would be any difference. I had to buy the '02 MAF and chip.

Clay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts