TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I had a quick question to ask...

A friend of mine just aquired a MAF housing from his uncle's car ('99 Mustang GT). It's just the housing, not the actual MAF (electronics/wiring). It's the black plastic/composite (whatever) style housing. I am not sure of how big it is (mm wise), but it is the stock unit.

Would I be able to take my MAF housing off and put my electronics on to the '99 GT one? would it cause my computer to throw a code or run lean/rich? I only ask this because I dont feel like messing my car up. I was going to cut the post in my current MAF housing, but after reading all the posts on this site, I figured i wouldn't bother. However, this is a completely different MAF housing, so I figured I would ask first and get some opinions before I try it.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You should go over and talk with....

RichardM - a very good source of info for mods.

Ford's MAFS are as accurate as any on the market and I
don't believe putting the sensor and transer functions
from one size maf into another of a different size is
a very good idea, I wouldn't do it.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
yeah like mt said...

its not a good idea... and dont cut that post out!!!!!!!! Ford, from what I understand, doesnt just sell the housing they sell the housing with the sensor... so you couldn't even get a core for it... leave your stock one how it is, and if your gonna get another maf, get it with the electronics, either from the new gt or the lmaf... and then you would need a chip that had the transfer function on it, you can pickup a lmaf for about 100 dollars... from FiveStar.... Remember the paint on the MAF screws needs to line up with the white paint marks, or Ford wont take it back as a core, But I doubt you would be able to get a core with a mn12 MAF in exchange for a LMAF or GT maf...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know for sure but I would say do not put your stock electronics in a Mustang MAF. Since the MAF's on a 99 are different from, oh say a 95 Mustang (my MAF was the same as the one in the 4.6 Thunderbird) it may not work properly and give you some problems. Whatever you do... don't cut the tower. Save your cash and go aftermarket.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ya don't do it. the wire and the diameter of the tube would not be correct for the electronics and programming that are in your MAF sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts