TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's, I've got a question for ya'll. IS the 4.6l maf the same as a 3.8 maf? I went to buy a new one and was told that the 3.8 and 4.6 are the same and will work properly on my car. Anyone got any info on this. Also I have some major stuttering going on when I accelerate what are some common reasons for this on a 130k mile car?

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Randy B.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if the 3.8 and 4.6 maf is the same. The cause of your stuttering is probly a bad MAF or something related to that. I doubt it's a bad transmission. The tranny might shift rough at 130,000 but if it's stuttering it's probly not the tranny unless you have been driving it very rough.

·
Registered
343 Posts
BigBird101 said:
I don't know if the 3.8 and 4.6 maf is the same. The cause of your stuttering is probly a bad MAF or something related to that. I doubt it's a bad transmission. The tranny might shift rough at 130,000 but if it's stuttering it's probly not the tranny unless you have been driving it very rough.
Have you had much experiance with the 4r70w Bigbird? The tranni is prone to Torque converter shuddering. My suggestion would be to drain the tranni fluid (dont forget the converter) and go with Merkon 5.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
BigBird101 said:
well, good input and thank you for the advice, but its probably not the MAF. the stuttering is more likely to be a shuddering torque converter, like MadDog said, than a bad or dirty MAF. a bad or dirty MAF would give you horrible throttle response and possibly slow acceleration. it would make the car just drive rough around town. hes talking about all out acceleration, in which case the ECU is closed loop anyway.

when was the last time you drained your torque converter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guy's tks for all the help. I went and cleaned the MAF, the K&N and then replaced my spark plug wires (because they were msd 8.5's with about 60-70k on them) and then pulled the positive battery cable to reset the comp. Now it works fine (actually better than ever). Though one thing wierd was then when iIwent and had a diag. done at auto zone it said that my purge vaulve was bad ( I idn't even know I had one much less where it was) but when I reset my comp the light went off has not come back on yet ( and that was over 300 miles ago). Thanks again for all the help

Randy B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts