TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've hunted around for the answers and can't find anything.

1. 96 - 98 Cobra MAF. Is it an 80 mm?

2. A few sources say that it is "calibrated" for 24 lb injectors on those DOHC's. Could someone explain how a MAF can be “calibrated”?

Doesn't a MAF just measure the amount of air passing over the hot wire? Why would injector size have anything to do with the MAF. The coding in the EEC is what makes the pulse width adjustment based on all the parameters such as MAF transfer function, injector size, rpm, etc. etc…

Maybe I’m just stupid, but I hear a whole lot about MAF’s calibrated to injectors and I’ve always thought WHAT?!? :2huh:

3. Is there anyplace that can “verify” a MAF transfer function? What I’m talking about is a type of flow bench to confirm that when the MAF says “X” voltage equal “Y” amount of air, the whole intake system is actually passing that amount of air. It would be a nice way to confirm the accuracy of a MAF when it is placed in a non-stock intake system.

Sorry for the novel. :D

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I think they can be calibrated, somehow. The ProM (or whatever that brand is) sells them and they dont need a chip, because its calibrated or something.

-Shawn

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Shawn40th said:
ProM (or whatever that brand is) sells them and they dont need a chip, because its calibrated or something.

-Shawn
And it fools the EEC

·
8,239 Posts
The way the Pro-M mafs are calibrated, is you change the sampling tubes in them to accomadate for your size injectors, etc. Pro-M mafs aren't real big with me, I like to use an OEM ford part, and program the eec to make it work.

For instance, the stock Lightning maf is callibrated for the injectors in the Lightning, thats one of the reasons why it won't work in your car without telling the eec what is going on.

The best way to go is to call fordparts.com, and get a price on the new mustang gt maf, then let the pros at fordchip or Apten flash your eec to accomodate for the maf.

I have the 80mm Lightning MAF, and it works excellent. Other options are the 90mm Lightning MAF, or the 80, or 85mm Mustang GT mafs. I would just get the one that doesn't have a core charge on it.

JH

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
well the reason why pro-m does that is for cost effectiveness...but im not big on them either...b/c i dont like the idea of fooling the eec.....i would go for the chip and such if you have the money....my question is...whats the average price for an gt intake tube and maf?....like new.....i searched but didnt find anything about prices...just whats the best

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I beleive Dan Newman sells them with the airbox attached for around $130....give hima call to confirm though

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3. Is there anyplace that can “verify” a MAF transfer function? What I’m talking about is a type of flow bench to confirm that when the MAF says “X” voltage equal “Y” amount of air, the whole intake system is actually passing that amount of air. It would be a nice way to confirm the accuracy of a MAF when it is placed in a non-stock intake system.
Since we've resurrected this thread… :leftright

I was just wondering if anyone has the answer for my question #3? :D

Since the "before" and "after" tubing is so important to the accuracy of the metering, wouldn't the only way to get the correct transfer function be to flow test it from air cleaner to throttle body? (Or of course just enter the parameters in the $1,000,000 fluid transfer program that Ford probably uses. :D)

Just rambling. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts