TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my engine this winter and doing some performance stuff. Can I use a MAF sensor from a 2002 mustang in my 91 Cougar if I am putting larger injectors and a custom chip in it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I am rebuilding my engine this winter and doing some performance stuff. Can I use a MAF sensor from a 2002 mustang in my 91 Cougar if I am putting larger injectors and a custom chip in it?
Thanks.
Yes if the chip is tuned for the MAF and Injectors.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Why would you use the MAF from a 2002 Mustang?

Even with a windstar splitport intake and upgraded injectors, I'm not maxxing out my stock 95 MAF (my datalogger samples the MAF voltage). If your MAF is old, well, they do wear out so replacing it isn't a half bad idea.

-g

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the responses. I was also concerned if the connecters were the same.
I can purchase the hole tube ,MAF and K&N filter as an assy.
I just wasn't sure about the mods involved with this set up.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

Even with a windstar splitport intake and upgraded injectors, I'm not maxxing out my stock 95 MAF (my datalogger samples the MAF voltage). If your MAF is old, well, they do wear out so replacing it isn't a half bad idea.

-g
According to a well known former ford engineer, the maf used in 2002+ mustang gt's has superior electronics than anything that came before it.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
According to a well known former ford engineer, the maf used in 2002+ mustang gt's has superior electronics than anything that came before it.
I got that same GT part number MAF off a 2008 F-150

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

-g

MAF shouldnt wear out - its basically a heated platinum wire and a thermistor that responds to changes in air temperature passing over the two .. not exactly a wearable item.

The 02 GT MAF has a 80mm housing which should support somewhere over 400 RWHP, you would need a lot more air flow than a splitport V6 setup to maximize that 95 70mm MAF, like forced induction or a modified V8 for example. The OP's 91 MAF is pretty small but still wouldnt be maxed out on most NA V6 setup's.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, would it be worth the effort to put the GT MAF and K&N filter on my engine? I'm thinking that the engine will be producing around 250 HP with the cam, injectors, head work and chip. I already have headers and dual exhaust with larger tubes.

Curt.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or will the factory MAF,and TB with a K&N flat panel be all I need for the mods I'm doing?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
MAF shouldnt wear out - its basically a heated platinum wire and a thermistor that responds to changes in air temperature passing over the two .. not exactly a wearable item.

The 02 GT MAF has a 80mm housing which should support somewhere over 400 RWHP, you would need a lot more air flow than a splitport V6 setup to maximize that 95 70mm MAF, like forced induction or a modified V8 for example. The OP's 91 MAF is pretty small but still wouldnt be maxed out on most NA V6 setup's.
I stand corrected, Dan.
However, they do break, don't they? I know the previous owner of my tbird recently replaced his that there's got to be a limit to how many heatcycles that platinum wire can take.

I guess the two concerns are a) whether or not the MAF is a restriction or b) if the MAF cannot meter the level of airflow coming into the engine. You have suggestions on how to figure out both cases. If the deal for your tune comes with reburns/updates, you may want to try things out in two stages. Stage 1: everything you planned. Do the tests and if needed, proceed with Stage 2: the upgraded MAF + reflash.

-g

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I stand corrected, Dan.
However, they do break, don't they? I know the previous owner of my tbird recently replaced his that there's got to be a limit to how many heatcycles that platinum wire can take.

I guess the two concerns are a) whether or not the MAF is a restriction or b) if the MAF cannot meter the level of airflow coming into the engine. You have suggestions on how to figure out both cases. If the deal for your tune comes with reburns/updates, you may want to try things out in two stages. Stage 1: everything you planned. Do the tests and if needed, proceed with Stage 2: the upgraded MAF + reflash.

-g
It would be more likely the electronics inside the MAF sensor fail, than the platinum portion. Catalytic converters are subjected to much higher heat and chemical abuse than the MAF sensor. I couldnt say why the previous owner replaced your MAF .. while my 94 SC has almost 200k miles on the original MAF.

The maximum amount of airflow the MAF needs to be capable of flowing ( with a safety factor of 10%) can be calculated as follows:

1.1 x Horsepower x BSFC x A/F Ratio

The MAF can be a physical restriction by size, or the capability of the electronics. Two equal size MAF housings may not support the same amount of air flow measurement.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again guys for the feed back.
After spending almost $500 on parts for our other 2 cars, I will be keeping the parts I have now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts