TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, long time reader. I've had my car for about a 8 months now, my dad had it for over 4 years. The car has 94,xxx miles on it, and the only mod is cut mufflers replaced by chrome tips. I've diagnosed my problem to my maf, and have after reading many posts, tested it by unplugging it and giving a nice stomp on the pedal to see if the acceleration changes. It did. The difference one absolutely amazing. Now I know there are countless posts saying leave it in, so i quickly plugged it back in. The change was huge though. My question is this, after unplugging it and looking, I see no "dirt" as many of you described. As far as I can see, it is cleaned. I'm confused, and dishearted that I have to drive a slow Bird when I've see nwhat it can do. Is my maf just bad? If so, is there a "better" than stock one? Thanks in advance-

David-

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you had an opportunity to read the tech articles regarding the MAF sensor? This article , in particular, may assist in the cleaning. I've not used a Q-tip (as mentioned in that article), though.

Just curious - any codes (was the Check Engine light on)? If so, what were the codes?

It's possible the MAF sensor may be bad. However, try this first, before getting a replacement: after cleaning it with electrical cleaner, remove the EEC fuse from the Power Distribution Box located near the battery, then try to start the car. It won't start. Re-install the EEC fuse, then start the car, and take it out for a drive so the engine computer can 'relearn' what the sensor is telling it. I don't know why, but I usually go about 10 miles at 50mph for the 'relearn' trip.

Regarding a replacement: an upgrade chip is required if you choose to get a larger MAF sensor. Other than that, I don't think you can go wrong staying with a stock MAF sensor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've heard of the connector being bad, but never had expeirenced it. I believe there is a way of testing the MAF sensor with a multimeter, did you try that?

When you unplugged your MAF sensor did a CEL come on? If one didn't then you may have a problem with the ECC.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The check engine light does not automatically come on the moment you unplug the MAF. Also, it still could be dirty, even though you think it looks clean visually.

And if the MAF is bad, it still might not trip the check engine light for awhile.

Here's what I would do;

Clean the maf using an aerosol can of electrical contact spray cleaner.

If the results aren't any better, than you can check the voltages of the four maf wires. The values have been posted before. Try a quick search for that.

In my opinion, if cleaning the MAF doesn't improve anyhting, then you will probably end up replacing the MAF.

NOTE: Only buy a Motorcraft MAF sensor. The ones sold at places like AutoZone are junk. Dan Newman has good prices on them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check engine light--that thing has been on FOREVER. Replaced all o2 sensors. Before we had some codes run on it, something about an emissions control valve or what not.

David

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh. Me and my dad cleaned out the maf throughly, reset the computer. Let's just say I need new tires :D .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts