TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what a MAF does and where they are most commonly placed in the engine bay. What I don't understand is everyone that I have talked to or pics that I have looked at say that it is inline from the air box to the TB. I don't have one on my car. I don't have an SC, but from what I understand, even the 3.8l LXs are to have MAFs in this place. Does anyone know why I don't have one on my car and better yet should I have one. I haven't found any unplugged connecters so I am left to think that I don't need one or it is located somewhere else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Thanks for the information about the MAFs. Just one other thing if you who replyed should know. Why doesn't the 89-90s have a MAF? What did they do differntly to the engine to require one?

·
Registered
443 Posts
need maf, different harness, different computer

·
Registered
607 Posts
They have more accurate readings of the air flow, and basicly an all out different design to read airflow. But the problems with them are; more expensive then the MAP and they are known to go bad more often.

Jim

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Ford didn't use a MAF on 89-91 3.8L na's because they didn't have to. a AMP is good enough in most cases.

You can't just add a MAF, your computer will not recognize it.

Youcan run without a MAF, but whatever gains you think you'll get by not using a MAF will be more than offset by the crappy a/f ratio you will get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts