TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have a choice between two garages to do my 3" single exhaust. One of the garages doesn't handle Magnaflow 3 chambers, so I was wondering if someone had a part # for the part I need? How would this do with the stock cat or do you guys reccomend replacing that as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Ok, I see. That's a rearmount type...built in big tip.

Might want to measure some things out under there. If you remember what size your stock rear muffs were, they seem a bit short to allow room for the inlet pipe to get in there, don't they? Remember how tight of a bend the inlet pipe was with the stock diameter pipe? A longer muff and 3" pipe might make this trickier than you might expect.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Lots of things to look at. The one you linked is offset In and offset Out. How will that affect your fitment? You could just buy it and work it out somehow, or you could try and mock something up to resemble it before buying it.

Also consider whether the muff you want will need to be round, oval, etc. Pay close attention to the listed dimensions and figure out where it could go using those dimensions..

Also consider where you want the muff to be: under the cabin floor or under the trunk floor. Looking at pics of other members' exhaust setups you can see that the rectangle/oval shapes might fit better under cabin floors than round cans.
For example the highly-regarded Magnaflow DIDO muffler is preferred as a midmount, while others seem to work or fit best at the back of the car.

FWIW, I have a Hooker Aerochamber (3" center In, 3" center Out) mounted in place of the stock resonator as a "midmount" setup and 3" pipe after that.

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Guys,

I have a choice between two garages to do my 3" single exhaust. One of the garages doesn't handle Magnaflow 3 chambers, so I was wondering if someone had a part # for the part I need? How would this do with the stock cat or do you guys reccomend replacing that as well?

Thanks!
I recommend replacing the cats with a straight pipe :D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure! Screw Al Gore!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am running a mid-mount magnaflow with tru-x core. I got the alumnized one rather than stainless because it was cheaper. Johnny Langton, JL, whatever you want to call him gave me the part number for the muffler years ago and it has worked great. I have a single 3" tailpipe complete with compression bends for all you haters. It dumps under the car before the rear control arm. I get tons of compliments on how good the car sounds. It would be much more quiet inside if I would extend the tailpipe to the rear of the car. I am actually thinking about going back to dual tailpipes again sometime in the near future.
-Rob

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
James - how about going with true duals like other guys have indicated? I have the mid-mount Magnaflow #11385 with the built in crossover, Magnaflow high-flow cats #94004, one on each side, and chrome NAPA tips with the angle cut on them. I got rid of the 3rd cat and the dual-in/dual-out Magnaflow muffler was installed in its' place. I got everything except the tips on the 'Bay. I have 2.25 pipes all the way. It sounds great!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I am one that has the True Duals from Mandrel Exhaust Systems & TM is another , Nice set up and it works great :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still haven't made my mind up yet. I think both have good points and bad. The link referenced earlier looks like a nice setup as well.

For the single exhaust, I am looking at a Magnaflow Stainless Muffler that is 14" Case Length , 5" think ,8" wide, model #14834. This mounts on the end of the system. Anybody have an idea is this fits or not?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts