TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided i want to cut off the third cat, and replace the other 2 with high flows, then stick a magnaflow "x-pipe inside" muffler like the one Wes is using right after that, and then run 2 pipes into chrome tips out the back.

I know it will sound good, but im worried about drone, I know Wes has no drone, but his is a little different hence i wont be running the two mufflers in the rear like he does. and im gonna have 2 high flow cats..he has no cats.

any answer would be great, and i promise no more exhaust posts from me untill after i get it done. i realize all these exhaust questions get old, but i dont wanna make any bad choices:)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was thinking of this exact setup, my question what is the pricing on this for parts and labor? Thanks in advance.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
i do believe that the muffler with that x pipe inside is a dual in and dual out and not a single in and single out so you might have to use just that one muffler. you'll get the same results and plus you might save a few bucks from having to buy two mufflers

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
i think it would sound real good. the cats would kinda sorta act like my mufflers do in the back, so you shouldnt have too much drone, if any.

"my question what is the pricing on this for parts and labor?"

my parts (three mufflers and two tips) cost $207 and the labor (true duals, manifolds back, 2.25" aluminized pipe) was $210.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exhuast labor dosent cost too much. Tomorow at 2:00 my exhaust guy is gonna jack up my car and take a look at it, and im gonna explain what i want done. Once he quotes me, im gonna check the price with you guys first to make sure im not gettin over charged. And then, if everythings a go, it will be done next week hopefully

he was explaining to me that exhaust labor is very cheap since he can do it in a very short time, so im really only paying for parts....does anybody have an idea of what that could cost me, ive got around $400, i dont think it should be any more than that, and if it is, im finding someone else

i do believe that the muffler with that x pipe inside is a dual in and dual out and not a single in and single out so you might have to use just that one muffler.
Im aware of that, i decided true duals will be better in the long run so i scratched plans for the seabass setup.

btw, my car will pass emissions with 2 high flow cats right? i'm in jersey and emmisions are a *****

·
Registered
855 Posts
Jersey does to visual checks on cats.... Not sure if you "know" someone or not but if you take it to the standard MVS inspection station they might give you a hassle about not having anything in the third cat's spot. You might not have a problem, but just wanted to let you know that there is a visual check on the cats.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, actually my uncle works at the inspection station, im gonna call him up right now and ask him

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a similar setup on mine, hi-flow cats into a dual in single out magnaflow, 3" pipe back to a "y" pipe, chrome tips out the back. I have no drone at speed, and it sounds awesome. I paid $650 for everything, and it is all mandrel bent.Pics here

Hope this helps.

Scott

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, nice setup, but it seems like you payed far more then what i want to pay. i was expecting a setup like what i want to cost sub $400

btw, i just got off the phone with my uncle who is a car inspector at one of the NJ DMVs and he told me that having 2 high flow cats without the 3rd will not be a problem, as long as they can see 2 cats under there they will pass you.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
AlpineBird said:

he was explaining to me that exhaust labor is very cheap since he can do it in a very short time
If he's saying that-he's never done exhaust on an MN12 before..If he slops in a system just to get it done quick-you'll be rewarded with rattles and all kinds of other racket.To do an MN12 properly,it takes alot of time to get it tucked in the tunnel and still allow clearance everywhere.
JL

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well that wouldnt surprise me with him, or anybody else around here. Ive been yet to see a modded T-bird around here. Once he looks at the car tomorow, then we'll see what he says.:tongue:

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
once he saw my car, he sent me somehwere else..lol

edit... And i just called the place he recomended me to and when i explained to the guy what i wanted, he laughed. time for me to print out setup pics

..this is gona be fun

·
Registered
217 Posts
I bet the problem you're having is because you want the 3rd cat removed.
Most shops won't take the risk, you're going to have to find a smaller shop to do it I bet.
I went to a few shops before I could get mine done, about the same setup as you want.
Find a smaller shop and you should be OK.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol...no, the guy has no problem with taking off the third cat. He laughed when i said i wanted true duals on a thunderbird.:leftright

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
AlpineBird said:
lol...no, the guy has no problem with taking off the third cat. He laughed when i said i wanted true duals on a thunderbird.:leftright
**** him, take your business elsewhere then....

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I got the same thing a couple of times, then found a guy that said he had done a couple Mark VIII LSCs before, and knew the dual routing. I'm very pleased with his work.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well im gonna stop by his shop in the morning, everybody i know has had their exhaust done there, and hes been in business doing this for the past 20 years. I'll let him look at it, and then on what he says when he sees it, i'll decide if i wanna look elsehwere

·
Registered
332 Posts
They actually sent you elsewhere? That's pretty brutal. I went to one place, they quoted me 1200 CDN because of time and the lack of space under there :confused: The second place said they'd do it for 500 CDN including 2 raven mufflers. This was for 2.5' true duals from the manifolds back. It seems that it's the smaller shops that give you the best attention and listen. I told him what I wanted done with the car, he hoisted it up, thought it was a good idea, gave me a quote. If they laugh at the idea, there idiots!

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the only reson my guy sent me away is becuase he dosent have a pipe bender.

Anyway, its really hard to get good work done around here, thats why ive been putting this off for so long.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The guy I took it to dosent wanna touch the 2 cats up front, but he will remove the third, he said instead of the magnaflow muffler i wanna use he had this "Xlerator" muffler that he said was good, but ive never heard of it before, so im gonna order the magnaflow myself and just bring it to him.

He quoted me $450 for Muffler, Custom Piping, Tips, and Labor. i think it sounds reasonable, but im gonna look around a bit more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts