TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my muffler guy is ordering the dual in dual out magnaflow muffler tommorow(#11385)....thats the 2.25 in size....im keeping the primary cats but going tru duals after that....im pretty stoked about this....my muffler guy quoted me 350 for the job.....is there anything i need to let him know about installing this system on a bird?....when its on ill figure out how to do my first video clip of it......again, im stoked....hehehehe.....this will go great with my air silencer delete and KN panel filter.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^we'll call that near future....hehehe

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
just remember when u first start it up the sound u hear will be not as loud and deep as it will be once the muffler breaks in i would do if u can a 2 video deal one now and one in like 2k miles once it has totally broken in

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
just remember when u first start it up the sound u hear will be not as loud and deep as it will be once the muffler breaks in i would do if u can a 2 video deal one now and one in like 2k miles once it has totally broken in
I don't understand, how does a muffler "break in?"

Matt,

I've had the same di/do muff on the car for about 3K and a year and half and it sounds the same the day it was all welded together.:confused:

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well mufflers that use baffles wont really "brake in".....but ive noticed a marginal sound increase after time when using glass packs....the trick is the fibers eventually being packed together from the exhaust....but again, a baffled mufflers sound volume will always remain the same.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody have a vid link to my exact setup im looking at?

-retaining primary cats
-2.25 di/do magna
-4.6L, duals and midmount of course.....HELP!.....this anticipation is killing me....lol

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
strung - I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about getting the same setup, same parts, Magnaflow 11385 and Magnaflow 94004 catalytic converters on my '97 Limited Edition. I have to buy the parts and take them to a muffler shop where he'll charge me $350 for pipes, bending, installation.

Very curious to hear from you what it sounds like, how it went, etc.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
^well i have a photobucket acct.....i guess you can apparently do video clips there....ive never done a vid clip before....but when this is done ill sure as hell be doing one...hehehehe....ill post it for ya....and how my muffler guy did on the dual job.....just be sure to add a little more sound volume to yours due to the high flow cats....lol

.....the only thing im a bit worried about is the crush bends on a 2.25 system.....my muffler guy said it shouldnt be an issue.....but i dunno.....im thinking crush bends on 2.5 piping would amount to the same exhaust flow as mandrel 2.25 system.....hhhmmmmm...thinking now.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I had an exhaust guy tell me that the larger pipes have to crush further to get the same bends, so going with a 2.5" pipe won't flow any better than a 2.25" pipe if using crush bends. And if your engine is mostly stock, then the 2.25" dual pipes will definitely outflow your single 2" pipe. Of course, if you can find someplace that actually does Mandrel bends go with that.

By the way, I got a LOT of compliments on the way the LE (and the GT) sound with the original cats, DI/DO magnaflow and true duals. Now I have the same set up without any cats, and it sounds great. (Just louder)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I don't understand, how does a muffler "break in?"

Matt,

I've had the same di/do muff on the car for about 3K and a year and half and it sounds the same the day it was all welded together.:confused:
theres packing in magnaflow mufflers that breaks down and eventually gives it the true tone that its going to make. Now mufflers like flowmaster is basically what u hear is what u get because there is no packing or anything that can break down like that also did u take a sound clip of when u put it on and now?? I guarentee its louder/ less quiet than when its brand new. When i put the same setup on my old 97 it was decent but the true sound came in later on

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey guys, listen im planning on changing out my mufflers and keeping everything else stock, the guy at lou's in ________ quoted my $650 for just the mufflers and install. RIPP OFF!. what i'm trying to go for is a much more nice idle tone these mufflers are what im aiming at. Magnaflow # 11225 also lou's qoute was for the tailpipe bending, just because I want to kept the look I have now. SEE HERE. Any suggestions would be great!. Thanks

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
if i were u i would just go with a si/do magnaflow and have him bend the 2 pipes in the rear downwards on each side, plus you will save some money with just getting one muffler just my .2 cents ;)

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well my muffler came yesturday, that thing is awsome.... i didnt know it had a built in X pipe.....well, anyway the system goes on tuesday.....now, off to the EEC thread to discuss my xcal2 tune im buying next week...hehehehehehe

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Same setup I'm running. Magnaflow DI/DO with true duals. Still with the precats in it. They're in the process of being taken out though...heh...

Preview of coming attractions...

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^thats exactly the vid ive been looking for.....well, now i know i made the right decision....thanks man!

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I think it's the best sounding way to go...plus you'll get plenty of attention too, lol. There's a little bit of cam lope there but you should get the same sound.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i agree on the magnaflow breaking in... mine sounds noticeably louder and a lot deeper now, with about 10-12k on it.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it on!......this system sounds bad ass!.....ive got to say, my muffler guy did one hell of a job, ive seen plenty of pics of the same system on here, ive noticed alot of really noticable crush bends with some of them pics....well, not on mine.....the bends are hardly noticable at all....props to my muffler guy...(hes done 5 of my previous cars)....ill get some pics up of his totaly flush work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts