TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '89 SC and getting ready to replace plugs, wires, etc. My question is, is there anything I should do to service the supercharger itself ? Like any special lube or anything?? Still learning about the SC stuff.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
other then toping up the Oil in the supercharer itself, not much you can do.. one can get a shringe and try to suck out what oil is in there to change it..

Also got to GM to get their oil.. alot cheaper (half price or less) then Ford

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
other then toping up the Oil in the supercharer itself, not much you can do.. one can get a shringe and try to suck out what oil is in there to change it..

Also got to GM to get their oil.. alot cheaper (half price or less) then Ford
So if I'm reading it right, it does have it's own fluid then....kinda like a rear differrential?? What kind of fluid/oil does it take??

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
A Semi special Synthetic, design for high load/RPM (??) applications

Like i said, you can go to either Ford or GM (later is cheaper for basiclly the same thing) and just add for a bottle of Oil for a Supercharger..

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok....I thought there was something for the SC. I'll see what Super Coupe performance has...probably the easiest way to go. Thanks !!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok....I thought there was something for the SC. I'll see what Super Coupe performance has...probably the easiest way to go. Thanks !!
Like it was mentioned just go to your local GM dealer and ask for a bottle of supercharger fluid, it'll run you about 10 bucks. SCP will sell you the same thing for more money. The fluid keep the bearings in the snout lubed, the only thing in the back of the sc is the rotors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
baturner0

the cost: FORD is about 16-18 bucks for 4oz...GM 8-10 bucks 4oz...the super charger holds 8oz....or you can go to a local small airport and get BP Turbine Oil, which will work..think i payed 17 bucks for quart (32oz) last year...some of the sccoa guys use it...you don't have to change it unless you want to, just top it off, the plug is located on the front right of the snout..3/8 hex?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!! Oil for the SC is something I never would have thought of. I'll be heading to the Ford dealership here soon for some.....the local GM dealership here is not the most reliable and honest folks....and the Ford dealership has always treated me right, I even get a 15% discount everytime I walk in the door....that's better than the employee discount which is only 10% :) .

Thanks for the plug location batburner0....I was going to ask about that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the local GM dealership here is not the most reliable and honest folks
That's great if you want to be loyal to the guys that have been good to you, but the GM guys can't really do you wrong, it will either say supercharger fluid on the bottle or it won't and the price will either be half of the Ford stuff or it won't.
I'm pretty sure the sure the fill plug is 3/16 hex and not 3/8. Also if it's low on fluid I recommend thinking about changing the snout seal. It's about $20 and fairly easy to change. It will save you from adding fluid and keep the front of your engine alot cleaner.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure the sure the fill plug is 3/16 hex and not 3/8. Also if it's low on fluid I recommend thinking about changing the snout seal. It's about $20 and fairly easy to change. It will save you from adding fluid and keep the front of your engine alot cleaner.

May do that as well.....I take it the seal is available at Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.?? Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I take it the seal is available at Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc.?? Thanks.
Unfortunately it's not available at local stores. SCP and Spinningwheels probably have them, I bought mine from a guy on ebay that I found through searching the forums here and on sccoa.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Thanks guys!! Oil for the SC is something I never would have thought of. I'll be heading to the Ford dealership here soon for some....
let me put this as gentle and polite as possible, YOUR A COMPLETE IDIOT IF YOU GO TO A FORD DEALER FOR SUPERCHARGER OIL.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
let me put this as gentle and polite as possible, YOUR A FKCING IDIOT IF YOU GO TO A FORD DEALER FOR SUPERCHARGER OIL.
What the heck is that for??? All theses years coming here VIC, and I never seen you post like that.......KDANNER----yes------you----NO. Apparrently, you didn't read my post above somewhere that the GM dealership around here sucks....they're idiots and not very friendly by any means....but my Ford (actually Mercury guys) have always taken care of me....I even get a discount everytime I buy something and my discount is better than the employee discount rate.

For me it's not about who or where I get my supplies and parts or even how much....it's about the business and how they treat their customers. If they treat their customers like crap, then hell no....I'm not gonna buy anything from them and help them make any kind of profit, even if they are cheaper. Would you buy from somewhere that you just hate because of how you've been treated there in the past??? My guess is...probably not.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
What the heck is that for??? All theses years coming here VIC, and I never seen you post like that.......KDANNER----yes------you----NO. Apparrently, you didn't read my post above somewhere that the GM dealership around here sucks....they're idiots and not very friendly by any means....but my Ford (actually Mercury guys) have always taken care of me....I even get a discount everytime I buy something and my discount is better than the employee discount rate.

For me it's not about who or where I get my supplies and parts or even how much....it's about the business and how they treat their customers. If they treat their customers like crap, then hell no....I'm not gonna buy anything from them and help them make any kind of profit, even if they are cheaper. Would you buy from somewhere that you just hate because of how you've been treated there in the past??? My guess is...probably not.
Ford dealer is 99% certian not to have the supercharger fluid in stock, GM dealers almost always stock it (for Bonneville, GTP, Buick ect..) and sell it for about 1/4 the price that Ford does.

David

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If memory serves Ford fluid is full synthetic GM is conventional.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Thats you....no need to call someone an idiot because they don't feel the same way...........
ill call someone an idiot if i feel that they are an idiot. if they feel the same way as i do or not.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If memory serves Ford fluid is full synthetic GM is conventional.
The fluids are not the same formula, but both are compatible with the M90 blower. You can also pick up a quart of jet turbine oil (BP 2380 or equal) at just about any of the regional airports that will also work fine and doesn't stink like the Ford & GM fluids do.

David

1 - 20 of 28 Posts